Need help with identification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
HI guys,

my knowledge of WWI planes is pretty limited. Can anyone identifiy this airplane that I took a shot of last year and forgot to note it's type? I appreciate it!

Attachments

• 0117_1767_108.jpg
    0117_1767_108.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 579
  • 0117_1768_361.jpg
    0117_1768_361.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 577
evangilder said:
HI guys,

my knowledge of WWI planes is pretty limited. Can anyone identifiy this airplane that I took a shot of last year and forgot to note it's type? I appreciate it!

What, you don't know one of the classics of WW1? :D

Looks like it is suppose to be a SE5a with a Wolsely Viper direct drive 220hp engine, though the air intake is a tad high.

mosquitoman said:
They all look the same though, that's the problem

That's how I see it too. But I know there are differences. I have hundreds of books on WWII, Korea, Vietname and aviation in general. My WWI bok count is about 3! Maybe I need to invest in some WWI books!

It looks like an SE5, but there is something odd about it...the engine doesnt seem long enough, and the cowl too square. I dont suppose you'd know what engine is in it Evan?

I have no idea. I took the picture as I was walking down to get shots of a Stearman. I usually make a mental note of planes that I shoot, but I missed this one. If it shows up at the show this year, I will look again more closely.

For what its worth I also think that its a replica which is about 2/3rds the size of a real one.
I have seen replicas and originals and the balance isn't right

the wings look wrong for a se5a. the picture below is of the shuttleworth collections origional se5a:

to me it looks like the wings on that plane have been taken off something like a dh9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back