New Book on Vietnam Air War by John Bushby (LCDR USNR)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

oldcrowcv63

Tech Sergeant
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast North Carolina
My old squadron mate, John Bushby (former LCDR with 11 years active duty) has just published a new book that is somewhat autobiographical about his time in the USN as an ECM systems operator during the later phase of the Vietnam unpleasantness (especially Linebacker support ops).

Amazon.com: John Bushby: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

"Prowler Ball is the story of a young Naval Flight Officer sent to Vietnam to support the air strikes of the US Navy against targets in North Vietnam. It encompasses the poignant and the prurient of the war in Southeast Asia. From dodging surface to air missiles in the sky to carousing in the bars of Olongapo City, this novel captures the flavor of the closing months of one of the longest and most misunderstood of America's wars.

It has taken over forty years to write the story of courage and zeal, wantonness and depravity that came to exist during the war in Vietnam. Although a novel, the events described in the book are not fiction, but are the reality of the author's experience."

Seems to me to be a bookend or companion book to Flight of the Intruder, by Stephen Coonts who was at Whidbey Island NAS also and I believe flew A-6's off the Enterprise with VA-196 during Bushby's war cruise.

If you buy the book, I get a commission which will pay for my mercedes. Just kidding, I don't have nor do I want a Mercedes. Of course, if someone gifted me one, I wouldn't turn it down. (and I don't get any commission). From what I've read so far, the book seems a good read.

He also writes novels about the clandestine services activities between the wars.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back