New Mosquito movie....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The story: On 21 March 1945, the British Royal Air Force attack on Gestapo Headquarters in Copenhagen was successful, but also ended in a fatal tragedy, as they mistakenly bombed the French School as well, resulting in more than 120 casualties, of which 86 were children. The film goes behind the statistics and tells the story of the fateful incident as seen through the eyes of the children at the school, the nuns, the young captive freedom fighters and the attacking airmen. In the battle for peace, civilians and innocents always pay the highest price.

IIRC one of the Mosquitoes was hit and crashed into the school. Following Mosquitoes thought the burning building (the school) was the intended target.

Operation Carthage. The Shellhus building in Copenhagen was rebuilt and survives and there's a wee memorial plaque on the side of it, with a propeller. The university building in Aarhus, attacked at a different time, also survives, but without so much adorning it signifying its role in wartime.

The "new" Shell House building is now the offices of a solicitor's firm.
The propellor above the entrance to what was the Shell shop, was dedicated on March 21st,, 1995, during the 50th anniversary celebrations, ,with a plaque set into the steps beneath. Surviving aircrew, former Danish Resistance survivors from the raid, SOE officers, and one of the ladies who was a pupil at the Jean D'Arc School, were all in attendance during the few days of the anniversary event.
The aircrew and former Danish Resistance members signed copies of a print from my painting of the raid,, produced to aid the funding of the memorial. ( I posted a thread some years ago, describing the concept and production of the painting and prints, and how Derek Carter was involved in the organisation to fund and raise the memorial. Derek is currently writing a book on the raid, and has been involved as advisor to a Danish TV documentary, accurately telling the full story. )
Some pics below, taken on March 21st, 1995, fifty years to the day, although I've temporarily mislaid those of the propellor memorial and plaque.
Note that the angle of the attack shown in the movie appears to be incorrect, being from the opposite ( correct ) angle as shown in my painting.

Shell 1.jpg
Shell house A.jpg
Shell house 3.jpg

The "new" Shell House building is now the offices of a solicitor's firm.
The propellor above the entrance to what was the Shell shop, was dedicated on March 21st,, 1995, during the 50th anniversary celebrations, ,with a plaque set into the steps beneath. Surviving aircrew, former Danish Resistance survivors from the raid, SOE officers, and one of the ladies who was a pupil at the Jean D'Arc School, were all in attendance during the few days of the anniversary event.
The aircrew and former Danish Resistance members signed copies of a print from my painting of the raid,, produced to aid the funding of the memorial. ( I posted a thread some years ago, describing the concept and production of the painting and prints, and how Derek Carter was involved in the organisation to fund and raise the memorial. Derek is currently writing a book on the raid, and has been involved as advisor to a Danish TV documentary, accurately telling the full story. )
Some pics below, taken on March 21st, 1995, fifty years to the day, although I've temporarily mislaid those of the propellor memorial and plaque.
Note that the angle of the attack shown in the movie appears to be incorrect, being from the opposite ( correct ) angle as shown in my painting.

Brilliant, Terry, lovely to see such a personal connection to the raid and commemorations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back