Nice Footage of Dutch Buffalos and B-10s in Singapore, 1941 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

buffnut453

Captain
Jul 25, 2007
Utah, USA
Thought this might interest some folks on this forum. Some fantastic footage of Dutch Buffalos (actually B339C/Ds) and Glenn Martin B-10s (actually WH139s) taken at Singapore in 1941. The low-level beat-ups by the Buffalos are pretty impressive, as is the vic formation flying - they're darned close (IMHO)!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq50X2PUpTs

That particular airframe is, indeed, the same as the Williams Brothers kit. It has the separate canopies for the pilot and rear gunner. There is a different version, with a single canopy, deeper fuselage and backwards-swept wing outer leading edges, that cannot be built from the Williams Brothers kit.

Yep, there's a Hudson of 8 Sqn RAAF sneaking in there, as well as a few RAF Buffalos (the ML-KNIL Brewsters were based at Kallang alongside 243 Sqn and 488 Sqn). Note that the Brewsters and the Glenn Martins wear the Dutch national marking (black-bordered orange triangle) on the upper wing surfaces. Only aircraft deployed overseas from the NEI were so marked - aircraft operating over the NEI had no upper wing national markings.

In a word: AWESOME

Anyone (Dave) know if the B-10 is the same as the Williams Brothers kit?

There are a few subtle differences between the B-10s and the Martins 139WH & -2s, however the most obvious ones are of the cowls:

The first batch Martin 139WH ( KNIL Aircraft M501 - M513 )had the following cowls (notice air intake);
WH Air intake.jpg

The 2nd batch (Martin 139WH-2 KNIL Aircraft M514 - M539) had the following ones:
WH-2 Air intake.jpg

The WH-2s horizontal stabilizers were also a few inches longer but would not be noticeable in the model.

Yeah...that's the danger. At some point, you have to decide to fish or cut bait otherwise it will never reach the "done" stage. Encountered the same problem myself with some of my primary source research.

I'm still in the queue eagerly awaiting your tome. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back