No. 7 Squadron Short Stirling Mk.III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't think the 'new' Lanc had the 'G' George markings, but last time I built it was soon after its release, in the early 1980s. The 'G' George kit, far as I know, was the original 1950s mould, re-released as part of a marketing tool in the 'up and down' years of Airfix ownership. Strangely, in the book I've just bought, covering the history of Airfix, this particular kit is not mentioned, although the history, and 'ownership', of the moulding tools is given quite a bit of coverage.
When 'G' was re-released, the original artwork, showing it landing with an engine burning, was 'modernised' and further detail added - the same basic scene, but much more 'alive' than the very basic original artwork.

It's covered in the book I mentioned, but the writing style is slightly disjointed, skipping back and forth, so a bit difficult to find quickly. It mentions the end of the Roy Cross era, as he had a ten year contract, and covers the early artists and those after Roy. It also describes the reason for the photo box tops, under Palitoy, who had been bought by General Mills. Being American, box art had to comply with (then) US laws, and show the actual product. This was relaxed, and artwork could again be used, but no depiction of warfare or violence.
Eventually, 'Political Correctness' was shoved out of the window, when it was accepted that box art was depicting historical events, so the sanitized art work could then revert back to it's original form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back