Non-slip walkway, Hawker Hurricane (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hamiltonian

Airman
Feb 17, 2014
I'm gradually progressing with the SEAC Hawker Hurricane I keep turning up and asking questions about:
IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3142-2.jpg

Before I start detailing, I'm wondering about the non-slip walkway panels on the wing roots. I have a few photos of 135 Sq. RAF Hurricanes.
This one shows a ferry pilot transferring a Hurricane "destined for 135":
135-Sq-1.jpg

This one is a 135 Sq. Hurricane being re-covered at Yelahanka, with an interesting botch-up of the new SEAC roundel and tail flash:
135-Sq-2.jpg

And these are 135 Hurricanes at what I think is a later date (thanks to fubar57):
135-Sq-3.jpg

It looks to me like the panels got grubby (or worn) fairly readily, and rigger seems to be wiping down the port walkway in the final picture. But I'm not clear on what they were made of. Were they thick rubberized panels set into the wing, thinner panels glued on to the wing, or some sort of painted surface that could wear through in use? Were they factory fitted? Did they need regular replacement?

There seems to be no simple answer, though prior to 1942 the Typhoon had a surface with the trade name 'Wondergrip', a sort of rubberised material, cemented to the wing to form walkways. From 1942 onward " A satisfactory painted on walkway has been developed at Langley and tested in service. This is now applied to all production Typhoons".

This would imply that Hurricanes too would not have acquired a painted on walkway until 1942 at the earliest. Pictures of the unrestored Finnish Hurricane show some kind of strip attached in this area. The problem is that there are plenty of photographs showing this 'strip' worn back to bare metal from the Battle of France and Britain period.

Cheers

Steve

Many thanks for the replies - that's got my head clear. My Hurricane was built in 1943, so it seems like it would be reasonable to have a bit of "worn to the metal" if I go down that route. (I'm not really sure how weathered I want this thing to be, at present. I'm a bit rubbish at weathering.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back