Noob question (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sweb

Senior Airman
Feb 5, 2009
Florida
I have a Janes WWII game. It's a lot of fun but I notice that battle damage is kinda cheesy. I mean, instead of realistic disabling damage the planes disassemble themselves at their factory joints as if all the rivets and threaded fasteners parachuted away in fear for their lives. In other words, there's no damage realism despite the great effort that went into accuracy of depictions of the aircraft themselves. Also, I set the "realism" weapons effectiveness to normal and at the mere touch of the trigger the opponent's wing snaps off or it becomes a flying fireball or some other extreme reaction to a couple of rounds fired. Are there any WWII air combat games that give a better representation of realistic damage and weapons effectiveness?

Thanks.

Hi Sweb,

Jane's WW2 Fighters was the benchmark of combat sims for it's time, but the decade that has passed since it's release has seen a quantum leap in realism, both with graphics and modeling.

CFS3 and the first release of IL-2 Sturmovik (v1.0) are even dated by today's standards but have fairly accurate damage modeling.

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 is the top end of the combat sims these days. Excellent graphics, both landscape and aircraft detail plus the damage modeling is far better than the original release. I'd recommend getting a copy, but make sure your computer meets the requirements.

IL2 is a great game, and as seen is highly recommended. I recommend it as well. It can be modded to your liking, and can fly online.

Me personally I spend a majority of my time in Aces High. Its a online game with multiple arena's. you have a early war, mid war, 2 late war arenas. A axis vs allies arena, Dueling arena, Training arena, and special events arenas. You can down load the game for free, and fly off line for free all you want. You also get a free 2 week trial to play online, and after that you have to pay to play in the arenas. Comming soon is a WW1 arena. The neat thing is they are going to start testing a new damage model with the WW1 planes before it is implemented into the WW2 birds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I did some reading about the IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 game - testimonials an such - and decided to buy it. I have a new HP running Windows 7, 5.12 gig useable RAM and the other innards for gaming. If I trip over myself learning this thing I'll probably come here to get bailed out, so thanks in advance.

Sounds like you're in good shape to run '46...

There's plenty of threads here in the pilot's lounge that covers a good deal of Sturmovik topics, but if you need a hand, just holler!

And don't forget to post some screenshots in the Screenshot thread!

Darn it, hearing more high end PCs makes me want to upgrade mine!

I'm getting 1946 next year, this time I gonna play it on my dad's PC!

-Arlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back