Nuclear Deterrence & Massive Retaliation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This describes a record setting flight involving a Canberra that was fitted with a rocket motor within it's bomb-bay. The aircraft turned on the rocket engine and zoomed up to 70,000 feet. Even as they were coming up on (or at) 70,000 feet, they were still climbing at 8000 feet per minute.
I'm curious. Am I misinterpreting that drawing, or did that Canberra GLIDE all the way around that loop and arrive back at the starting point at 45K feet?? That's one hell of a L/D if so!! Hell, who needs a U2? In any case, a pretty fantastic machine for its time. Blows the socks off its contemporaries like the B45 and the IL28. How come our B57s couldn't pull off stunts like that?
Cheers,
Wes

XBe02Drvr said:
I'm curious. Am I misinterpreting that drawing, or did that Canberra GLIDE all the way around that loop and arrive back at the starting point at 45K feet??
From what it seemed the rocket motor was shut down. I'm not sure if the engine went offline at anypoint.

While it was clearly discussed that NSC-5440 was known by the President, the JCS, and presumably the Secretary of Defense. Was there anybody in Congress who was aware of this, such as the head of the Senate Armed Services Committee?

At some point the Canberra did reach around 65,000 or 65,600 feet, which might been either the prototypes or the high altitude PR.7.

The Canberra that did this was not a PR variant, but a trials machine specifically converted; it was a B.6 model, serial WK163, that was lent to motor manufacturer Armstrong Siddeley then Napier, which fitted the Double Scorpion motor that enabled it to reach 70,000ft (70,310ft to be precise). This occurred on 28 August 1957. WK163 still exists and was flown on the airshow circuit in the early Noughties in Britain for awhile, but the sheer cost of operation has meant that it doesn't go out much these days.

Canberras set all manner of records in the Fifties. it was a remarkable aircraft. Here's a wee list on this page.

THE ENGLISH ELECTRIC CANBERRA RECORDS

I remember on a trip through Poland I went to the excellent MLP aviation museum in Cracow and it was explained to me that the Polish were given MiG-19s with which to intercept RAF Canberras that were operating with impunity over Eastern Europe. The MiG-19 couldn't reach the Canberras at all - they weren't very popular among the Polish apparently. The Chinese loved them however.

I'm curious if the Hungarian revolution in 1956 played a role in the decision making for overwhelming force and retaliation?

I'm curious. Am I misinterpreting that drawing, or did that Canberra GLIDE all the way around that loop and arrive back at the starting point at 45K feet?? That's one hell of a L/D if so!! Hell, who needs a U2? In any case, a pretty fantastic machine for its time. Blows the socks off its contemporaries like the B45 and the IL28. How come our B57s couldn't pull off stunts like that?
Cheers,
Wes
Yes, you ARE misinterpreting it!

The aircraft took off from Luton using its normal jet engines, flew south-west (follow the little arrowheads in the marked flight path), and arrived at the "start point" off the coast at its "normal" 45,000' ceiling. At that point the rocket motor was activated, and the aircraft zoomed to 70,000 feet - at which point the rocket was shut off. The aircraft descended with its normal jets still in operation, and continued to fly under jet power back to Luton, where it landed.

At that point the rocket motor was activated, and the aircraft zoomed to 70,000 feet - at which point the rocket was shut off. The aircraft descended with its normal jets still in operation, and continued to fly under normal jet power back to Luton
Amazed those early generation jets stayed lit at 70,000 ft. I remember reading of US jets doing zoom climbs well above their service ceilings, flaming out, and restarting on the way down.

I remember a story told to me by a former Bomber Command pilot who had flown Canberras and Vulcans saying that during the 70s and 80s the RAF used the Canberra as a high altitude target and used to pit Lightnings and Phantoms, the RAF's interceptors du jour against them. Whilst the lightnings could get into a firing position, the Phantoms couldn't (US members, remember these were Spey engined Phantoms, not J79 engined ones, whose performance was better down low and rubbish up high).

As an aside, I remember reading something about the RAF requesting permission to intercept a U-2 using a Lightning and for years the USAF refused, until it didn't. The Lightning successfully intercepted it, much to the USAF's disappointment. British Airways lent a Concorde to the RAF as a target on occasion too, and the Concorde proved much harded to intercept because it cruised at supersonic speed. A Lightning could catch up to it, but couldn't maintain position.

Just about the only aircraft in existance that could not be intercepted, was the Archangel family, which included the SR-71.

In regards to nukes, it was successfully used as a deterrent when Eisenhower told Chairman Mao that he would light up China if they didn't back off of Taiwan. So there was some value to an atomic Arsenal.

I remember a story told to me by a former Bomber Command pilot who had flown Canberras and Vulcans saying that during the 70s and 80s the RAF used the Canberra as a high altitude target and used to pit Lightnings and Phantoms, the RAF's interceptors du jour against them. Whilst the lightnings could get into a firing position, the Phantoms couldn't (US members, remember these were Spey engined Phantoms, not J79 engined ones, whose performance was better down low and rubbish up high).
Though I know turbofans don't usually perform as good as turbojets at high altitudes, I was told that the two had similar thrust ratings. That said, one thing you're not factoring in is the Spey engined Phantoms had to be redesigned to accommodate the larger engine: This affected area rule.

Another variable I can think would affect things is turning circle: The Canberra and Vulcans could turn fly quite well at high altitude and could keep turning long after the F-4 would have lost the ability. The Lightning had better climb and acceleration, probably top speed than the Phantom that would all help it position itself for a shot. I would not be surprised if it was more nimble too.
British Airways lent a Concorde to the RAF as a target on occasion too, and the Concorde proved much harded to intercept because it cruised at supersonic speed. A Lightning could catch up to it, but couldn't maintain position.
I always thought that was a myth.

Whilst the lightnings could get into a firing position, the Phantoms couldn't (US members, remember these were Spey engined Phantoms, not J79 engined ones, whose performance was better down low and rubbish up high).
In 1973, when HMS Ark Royal came to town to play ACM games with our resident combat training squadron, their Spey powered Phantoms and unorthodox tactics waxed our J79 birds and TopGun trained instructor pilots BADLY! In five days of nearly constant engagements, every single bird our side sortied was scored against, to zero kills for the home team. On two occasions, Buccaneer low level attack planes popped up into the fight from below, scored kills, and egressed safely. Airspace allocation set the ceiling at 25K, as there were civil jet routes overtop, so the altitude advantages of the J79 were somewhat curtailed. Still a mighty impressive demonstration.
Cheers,
Wes

Though I know turbofans don't usually perform as good as turbojets at high altitudes, I was told that the two had similar thrust ratings.

They do and they don't. It depends on what you want your engines to do. The fundamental point of difference is how the thrust is generated. With the big fans like the GENx engines and RR Trents, some 90 percent of the thrust generated is produced by the big 1st stage compressor, the big fan at the front. This enables efficiencies of economy at altitude, so performance wise. you get a whole heap more bang for your buck at altitude, because they are optimised for it. For a turbojet, you are going to run out of fuel to match range and cruise speeds of a big high bypass turbofan at a given load carrying capability.

Whilst the Concorde had impressive performance being able to supercruise, for its size it had rubbish range and had very little fuel in reserve when landing at the other end. Part of the problem of Concorde not catching on wasn't just the noise, but also its range and load carrying capacity. Airlines struggled to find viable routes for it.

Let's not forget that the F-100 engines in the F-15 and F-16, as well as the F-119 in the F-22 are low bypass turbofans. The Tu-144 Konkordski had afterburning turbofans in the NK-144s.

I always thought that was a myth.

Nope, very much took place. Consulting my Lightning references, the aircraft was a single example from 11 Sqn that was known to be something of a hot rod and it carried out practise interceptions on Concorde in 1985, but I don't know exact date. During the U-2 intercept, the Lightning reached an altitude of 88,000 ft in 1984, the same aircraft, XR749.

Hi Grant.

There are/were a number of Lightning pilots on PPRuNe who have posted in various threads debunking both the Concorde and the U-2 interception.

Here's one on the Concorde...

Clipboard01.jpg

With the big fans like the GENx engines and RR Trents, some 90 percent of the thrust generated is produced by the big 1st stage compressor, the big fan at the front.
Essentially a big multi-blade, shrouded turboprop, minus the blade tip vortices with their attendant efficiency losses and earth shaking noise. Ever stand near a runway by the liftoff point of a departing Orion or Herc? That penetrating rumble you feel in your gut is pure wasted power spinning off the prop tips.
Cheers,
Wes

There are/were a number of Lightning pilots on PPRuNe who have posted in various threads debunking both the Concorde and the U-2 interception.

That's interesting Graeme, but are these guys saying those intercepts didn't take place because what they knew about the aircraft meant they couldn't, or are they saying they actually didn't take place? According to what I have seen written, the particular 11 Sqn Lightning demonstrated better performance and was specifically chosen for the intercepts. From what I read, as I wrote above, the Lightning could catch the Concorde but not keep up with it.

In 1973, when HMS Ark Royal came to town to play ACM games with our resident combat training squadron, their Spey powered Phantoms and unorthodox tactics waxed our J79 birds and TopGun trained instructor pilots BADLY! In five days of nearly constant engagements, every single bird our side sortied was scored against, to zero kills for the home team. On two occasions, Buccaneer low level attack planes popped up into the fight from below, scored kills, and egressed safely. Airspace allocation set the ceiling at 25K, as there were civil jet routes overtop, so the altitude advantages of the J79 were somewhat curtailed. Still a mighty impressive demonstration.
So part of it had to do with the ceiling limits, and the fact that the RN:FAA pilots seemed to have better skills in Air-to-Air combat. I figured they would have held the edge from the late 1950's to the start of Top-Gun, but I guess it extended a little past that. I wouldn't be surprised if things improved from the 1960's all the way to 1975.

They do and they don't. It depends on what you want your engines to do.
High overall thrust, and high speeds.
The fundamental point of difference is how the thrust is generated.
Well yeah, as I understand it: The turbojet is theoretically better at higher-velocity (particularly at high altitude) than the turbofans in terms of power-loss at altitude, and ability to operate at higher speeds (exceptions exist such as well designed low-bypass fans). Probably why most high-bypass fans generally operate at subsonic speeds.
Whilst the Concorde had impressive performance being able to supercruise, for its size it had rubbish range and had very little fuel in reserve when landing at the other end.
It has a trans-antlantic range while flying at Mach 2.0, I wouldn't consider that to be trivial. There are routes that would profit from greater ranges, such as the ability to fly across the Pacific.
Let's not forget that the F-100 engines in the F-15 and F-16, as well as the F-119 in the F-22 are low bypass turbofans. The Tu-144 Konkordski had afterburning turbofans in the NK-144s.
Correct, the earlier F100 had a bypass-ratio of around 0.72:1. This gave it better SFC than the J79, and more thrust than the J75. It might have lost more thrust (proportionally) than the J79 or J75 at altitude, and appeared to have a lower exhaust velocity (It's a guess, but I remember claims the J79 had a higher exhaust gas temp), and the F-15A didn't seem to be able to hold supersonic speed without afterburners (The XF8U-3, powered by the J75, could hold supersonic speed without afterburner). That said, the plane had a VMax switch which increased performance, and allowed it to run-down a MiG-25. As for the later F100 variants, from what I recall, the F-15E had a lower bypass-ratio (0.3?) that allowed it to hold some degree of supersonic speed without afterburner, though it didn't have the VMax switch.

As for the F119, it had a bypass-ratio of 0.3, and was capable of full-supercruise, and seemed to deliver good fuel economy.

From what I recall, low-bypass fans might be able to either generate more thrust on afterburner, and/or get better SFC while doing it (at least, there was one turbofan built around that idea, the JTF-17A), and the fan-air can provide a degree of cooling.

Nope, very much took place.
Considering it had an acceleration rate that even beat the F-104, and could even accelerate to, and maintain supersonic speed without afterburners, I'd guess that it wouldn't be that hard to position itself for an intercept. The limitations might be the radar (from what I was told the radar was fairly simple), and the missiles, a down-the-throat shot might be difficult to pull off (On one hand: The Concorde was a large target, and produced a good thermal return when at speed, so the seeker might pick it up further than most aircraft; On the other hand: The high closure rate of Mach 4+ would result in very little time to get a lock and shoot), and an attack from the rear would result in a poor closure rate and work against endurance limits.

The F-104's, F-4's and F-15's all seem like they'd have better odds for this kind of mission for the following reasons
  1. F-104
    • Had a longer radius of action while supersonic than the Lightning making it possible to more effectively run down a plane from the rear
  2. F-4
    • It had a better radar, so it could position itself better for an interception.
    • The AIM-7's could be used for an effective head-on shot, as they have decent range and can be fired from over 20 miles out.
    • While the plane might have similar endurance to the F-104 when supersonic, the fact that it could carry out a head-on interceptions owing to it's missiles and superior radar meant that it didn't have to close in head-on, merge, and get behind the aircraft's tail -- it could just splash the plane before the merge occurs.
    • The two-man crew helps keep the work-load down, so there's less likely something will go wrong.
  3. F-106
    • Absolute radar range might have been as good or close to the F-4 Phantom, though engagement range was less
    • Interception radius was around 700 nm, which was less than the F-4, but superior to the English Electric Lighting
    • It could lob a nuclear-tipped missile in a head-on pass, and if not -- it could carry out a tail-chase.
    • It was resistant to jamming, though the Concorde had no ECM gear fitted, so no problem.
  4. F-15
    • It had a very good rate of acceleration: Slightly less than the EE Lightning from breaks-release to lift-off, about the same as the F-4, and superior to the F-4 above 250 knots, and possibly equal or superior to the Lightning.
    • It had a good radar, which was better than the F-4's, possibly the F-106 at the time the F-15A entered service, and a top-speed that was better than all the other aircraft in the listing. Particularly if the VMax switch was used.
    • The radar and fire-control system was designed to be worked by one person, as on the lightning, but the ability to automatically compute interception vectors would have given it a clear edge.
    • The AIM-7 & AIM-120 both would have allowed a head-on-shot against the aircraft, and range was enough to allow a tail-chase.

That's interesting Graeme, but are these guys saying those intercepts didn't take place because what they knew about the aircraft meant they couldn't, or are they saying they actually didn't take place?

Dunno Grant - but they're fun reading and I particularly liked the "floor polisher" story regards the Concorde intercept. :)
Here's the full version...

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/505899-concorde-chasing-2.html

And I found this here (note the next post by longer on)...

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/491374-really-fright-e-ning-3.html

U-2.PNG

Again, someone saying things didn't happen based on what they know rather than them saying they didn't happen outright. I think there's a bit of internet stretching regarding the 88,000ft flight which admittedly I might have encouraged. from what I have re-read (gulp), he intercepted the U-2 at 66,000 ft and did a zoom climb to 88,000ft at a different time, so never made a claim to intercepting a U-2 at 88,000ft.

Having read the Concorde thread, they are not saying it wasn't actually done, just that they believed it couldn't be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back