Nuclear Deterrence & Massive Retaliation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, they're descendants of the Caribou, Buffalo, Twotter, and Dash 7, what do you expect? Runs in the family. Hereditary bushwhackers.

Yup, indeed. We've had them for 15 years and they get flogged, yet there's nary a scrap of corrosion on them. The ATRs however...Hmmm. We got our first '600s two years ago and they are going through their first C-Checks and they're finding corrosion in them already. I've never worked on Twotters. A mate has, says they're the business.

I've never worked on Twotters. A mate has, says they're the business.
I've only wrenched on one once, but Gibraltar Rock has nothing on the Twotter. Dead simple, rugged as hell, and about as bulletproof as they come. I've flown right seat in them several times dropping jumpers. What a blast! "The Herd" out of Pottstown PA, and other jump clubs. They were into canopy RW back then, so after a 12.5 exit and a very brief formation freefall, they'd pop high and practice formation work with their canopies. When they finally got down to the LZ, we'd be all loaded up with the next batch and ready for takeoff.
Jumpers are the ultimate party animals, and they like to take good care of their pilots. You've probably heard fairytales of Innuit customs of hospitality with overnight visitors. I can't vouch for the Innuit, but I can tell you jumpers are true believers!
Cheers,
Wes

It reminded those who had any doubts, the meaning of ruthlessness.
And that would have meant that, even though proposals existed for limited conflicts instead of an all-out spasm in 1957, it would have likely been disregarded by the JCS?

While this post is around 4 years old, it does touch upon something I was curious about: Prospects for any form of limited war. I was reading a book about the F-101 by Ron Easley, it's easily one of the best books I've read on the aircraft and it actually reveals a lot of things about the aircraft I didn't know about.

Interestingly, it did talk about how in 1957, there was a CASF (Composite Air Strike Force) which included fighters, transports, and tankers if I recall. The CASF could be conventional or nuclear capable depending on the circumstance.

An interesting bit of F-101 trivia: In the mid 1960s a friend, on a Christmas visit home unannounced, buzzed/flew over the ROTC class bldg in Lafayette, La to let his sister know he was home. It was reported he broke the sound barrier because of the double boom, along with two windows. I talked with him about ten years ago, after his retirement, about this. He said the afterburners don't usually ignite exactly at the same time on a 101, giving the double boom and the windows had been cracked for years. He did get in trouble, as several ROTC types got his number, and after landing at Chennault AFB, had to account. He was amazed that they could see the number during a high speed pass. I remember calling his Mom's house back then to see if he would be home for Christmas, and his sister said he was, but didn't know where. I asked how did she know, and she told me the story, and said, "Who else could it be but Pat?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back