Oil Paints

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

brucejscott

Staff Sergeant
May 8, 2011
Williamsport, Pa
I am about ready to pull out what remains of my rapidly thinning hair. I have recently started using Reeves oil paints for fine detail work. I can mix any color I want and in tiny quantities. I use turpenoid for thinning and it seems to work ok. The problem is that sometimes the paint dries in an hour, sometimes it is days. What am I doing wrong and how can I get this stuff to dry faster?!

Oil paints take (at room temperature) a long time to really fully dry and cure. If you insist on doing it quick...I've seen a few people who build a kind of drying cabin where they can raise the temperature and then let their model dry in there for a few hours. You mentioned 'what remains of my rapidly thinning hair', so I'm unsure if you have one around...but a hair-dryer (set on low speed not to overdo it on the temps) works as well to speed up the drying process. But you'll still be underway for a few hours is my guess.

I wouldn't suggest using of any kind of a heat sources to get the temperature up. It might damage model details or cause bending of main parts. Also the features of styrene can change what might cause its crumbliness , especially for the future.
I think there is no way for getting the time of drying shorter and it is better to let it dry at room temperature. It is possible to add a little bit more of a thinner to these oil paints what should make its drying quicker.Also the process of the piaint applying should be done in a room with a very good rotation of the air.

Do you think setting it in front of the exhaust of the dehumidifier in my basement would help?

Wojtek (Wurger) will know better, but I would advise against trying to speed up the drying time too much, may effect the quality of the finish.

It takes a lot of heat for parts to actually start deforming. I've done it countless times (not to try and speed up drying time as I too just let it sit and dry at room-temperature for a few day, but rather to eliminate warped wings and the like), and it took boiling water for parts to actually start getting soft so 30-40 degress celsius is well withing acceptable range.

Using a little white spirit (a damp brush that is and not soaking in it) also speeds up initial drying but it still takes a couple of days to fully dry and cure

I guess I am going to have to accept the fact that it will just take longer to dry and plan accordingly. Oils are just to nice to give up. Thanks for the help guys.

I think you're right.....but I'm sure you won't regret it. I've started to work with these oil paints as well as of late and their versatility is amazing. With the results being what counts a few extra days of drying time is something I'm more then willing to put up with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back