Old v New?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Norton's featherbed frame was ( maybe still is) the bench mark of frame design.
Another bike that was a dream was the Laverda SF750.
I was fond of the Suzuki Triple two strokes, great bikes with character but, wet weather braking and corners...jeez.
My main problem was fitting my 6' 5" frame onto a bike. The A65 was ok and so was the first Triumph Speed Triples.
I also enjoyed my Harley's. The best thing about those bikes was the social side without a doubt.
Great days
Cheers
John

all the bike racers i talked to claimed it was the porting in the head that gave the "snort'n norton' its punch. they claimed you could do the same with a triumph....i will find out when i ge to the engine on my 750. the cream of the crop though was the vincent black shadow...the bugger could do like 150 mph back in the 50s. the original "ton up' bike.

I sure miss a lot about the old days too. Used to be that you could tell the different car makes from miles away...now you almost have to sit on the hood in order to tell them apart. Used to be a big thing for us budding gearheads to go past the new car lots, waiting to see the new models in the showroom. What I dont miss about the old stuff is changing points, plugs and condenser every 12K, rebuilding carbureters-especially the Rochester Quadrajets! Transmission fluid every 25K, drum brakes and the like.

I refuse to get into the plastic firearms...give me wood and steel please. The only exception to that is my hunting rifle which has a carbon fiber stock. I works when its wet, doesnt warp, and the bedding block intregal to the stock makes repeatable zero if you use a torgue wrench to reassemble, even though to me, its butt ugly. My friends keep trying to get me to buy a Glock-I tell them I have more than enough tupperware in the cabinets!

There is something about an old turntable and reel to reel tapes that still draws me to it. CDs and DVDs are nice and very durable, but it doesnt really do it for me.

I've still got my old component stystem from the '70's packed up in the back room, complete with a reel to reel. I have added a CD player over the years.
Give my a 1911 CAP anytime.

I owned a Matchless 500 single, like this one, for three years ... along with AJS, stable-mates with Norton and sharing the famous featherbed frame. In 1966 I rode it from Ottawa to New Orleans and back. I loved "thumper" but when I bought a Honda Super-hawk in 1967 it was like night and day. No oil leaks, no tappets to adjust, no nuts and bolts shaking loose, no primary chain to adjust, and no aluminum tapped into steel or steel tapped into aluminum, IIRC.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I've still got my old component stystem from the '70's packed up in the back room, complete with a reel to reel. I have added a CD player over the years.
Give my a 1911 CAP anytime.

Amen, brother. I have a Gold Cup National Match, standard Government Model, Combat Commander, and an Officers model and I havent found anything which shoots better in my hands. I have a Sansui 2000 receiver, a Garrard 0100 turntable, Akai reel to reel and 4 Sansui 3500 speakers. Some things get done different these days, but I dont believe any better.

A kid down the road scored a 1970 Mach 1 Mustang with the 351 Cleveland and he had the hood up on it one Saturday. I stopped to see what he was doing and he had a very puzzled look on his face. He was trying to figure out the inner workings of a Mallory dual point distributor....told him to wait a sec, ran home to get my feeler gauges and dwell meter and he got a nice lesson in old tech lol

There used to be a great motorcycle shop in Port Washington Long Island called I think Ghost cycles, they always had classic bikes,old Guzzis,Beemers and Rickman framed bikes. Used to love going there and checking things out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back