Oldest B-17 to be restored

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Hi guys,

Just read and interesting article in the magaizine Aviation history (November 2008 issue) and was wondering if one of our members can help.

According the the article the oldest complete B-17 in the world is currently under going restoration. Its a B-17D-BO that flew its first combat mission over the Philippines after Pearl harbor. The B-17D named The Swoose is currently being restored at the US Airforce Museum at Dayton Ohio. I was wondering if one of our members in the area would see if they would take the special behind the scenes tour offered every Friday and take pictures for all of us. Supposedly both The Swoose and the B-17F Memphis Belle are side by side under going restoration.

The B-17D is one of the orginal Shark Fin tailed B-17's so will be very rare. Would love to see some pictures of both these aircraft under going restoration

Best I can do to help is give you the web address to sign up for the tour thats held each friday. I would go myself but its a little to far for me to drive.

National Museum of the USAF - Museum Tours or you can call the museum at 937-255-3286.

Picture below is of the B-17 The Swoose

Thanks Paul

Attachments

• B-17D-BO_40-3097.jpg
    B-17D-BO_40-3097.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 181
I was able to find these pictures at the museum web page but they may have changed since restoration started.

Attachments

• 080714-F-1234P-003.jpg
    080714-F-1234P-003.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 080714-F-1234P-004.jpg
    080714-F-1234P-004.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 170
  • 080714-F-1234P-006.jpg
    080714-F-1234P-006.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 080714-F-1234P-007.jpg
    080714-F-1234P-007.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 080717-F-1234P-002.jpg
    080717-F-1234P-002.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 175
Very historically significant aircraft.

Swoose

Thanks Joe for the link, very interesting. Yet another photo of a simular aircraft. It would be interesting to see if they will incorperator the bath tub gun postiong like this one.

Attachments

• 080717-F-1234P-001.jpg
    080717-F-1234P-001.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 164
if you can get the book " Queens die proudly " from 1945..its really worth reading
i have it here and its the whole story of the swoose during WW2 written by the crew..awsome book and story

if you can get the book " Queens die proudly " from 1945..its really worth reading
i have it here and its the whole story of the swoose during WW2 written by the crew..awsome book and story

Thanks GF,

I will have to check it out. I always like books like that, that are written by the people that where there first hand.

Thanks again.

that book is worth every penny..and you will love it..its written like you are really there..taking part in the action..and since its written so early ( first draft in 1943 ) my edition is from 1945 with a little more in it..it tells the story so vivid

Very true, nothing like reading first hand accounts.

Just think though also, They get this one restored and flying and the Memphis bell back on tour then it would be great you could see a B-17D, B-17F, and a B-17G all in formation wouldnt it.

here is a huge old oilpainting/canavas stored at the archives at smitshonian/silver hill showing all the places the swoose was during the war and after the war. I hope this will be displayed with the aircraft when its restored !! this was painted back when the swoose was grounded.already back then it was famous
sorry for the flah shining of in the picture but it was stored in a dark area so it was impossible to take a picture of it without flash

Attachments

• flight of the swoose.jpg
    flight of the swoose.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 189
I would love to see this one. The museum restores everything to airworthy or close to airworthy condition, but keep them grounded. I saw the Memphis Belle a couple summers back. It was sad to see the graffiti on it from when it was kept outside many years back.

i agrre with syscom about that.. aircrafts belong in the air but to loose such a aircraft as the swoose.. that would be to much a loss..
but i dont think Liberty belle or the Swoosw will ever fly again..even if they get back to airworthy condition

here is a huge old oilpainting/canavas stored at the archives at smitshonian/silver hill showing all the places the swoose was during the war and after the war. I hope this will be displayed with the aircraft when its restored !! this was painted back when the swoose was grounded.already back then it was famous
sorry for the flah shining of in the picture but it was stored in a dark area so it was impossible to take a picture of it without flash

Sweet picture there GF, Ive got to get myself out to that museum one of these days.

that museum is sweet.. but they dont give tours at silver hill where they have their soragearea anymore.. that is where the poster is stored.. it was stored together with the swoose..and a whole lot of other nice aircrafts that i am not going to post pictures of here on this thread, but have you been to edvard huzy center ? that is awsome !! did you buy the book ?? :)

that museum is sweet.. but they dont give tours at silver hill where they have their soragearea anymore.. that is where the poster is stored.. it was stored together with the swoose..and a whole lot of other nice aircrafts that i am not going to post pictures of here on this thread, but have you been to edvard huzy center ? that is awsome !! did you buy the book ?? :)

Not yet, plan on buying it this weekend. Right now Im waiting to unload a full cord of fire wood thats suppose to be here shortly. Trying to get ready for winter as it started to snow here today for the first time this year. Not expecting anything to amount to anything but boy is it cold outside.

Great stuff guys! Just read in November edition of 'Aeroplane' magazine, there's an early B17E, recovered from a swamp in PNG, awaiting export to the US for restoration. Seems to be complete, so we can look forward to another early Fort sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back