Oldest B-17 to be restored

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You guys do know that the actress Swoosie Kurtz was named after the Swoose, by it's former pilot, her father? It would be very appropriate to have her on hand when it's displayed.

CD

Great stuff guys! Just read in November edition of 'Aeroplane' magazine, there's an early B17E, recovered from a swamp in PNG, awaiting export to the US for restoration. Seems to be complete, so we can look forward to another early Fort sometime.

Hi Terry,

I believe your refering to this B-17E. Serial number 41-2446 thats been nicknamed Swamp Ghost by the locals. Picture from the magazine Classic Wings Vol 13 No3 2006 Issue 56.

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 71
Yes, that's the one Paul. Apparently, she's been awaiting export for a couple of years, but 'someone in the local government' has been blocking it. Even though the 'exporters' involved have payed a required sum, there have still been delays. However, it seems that things are now underway, and she should be moving back to the 'States soon.

Yes, that's the one Paul. Apparently, she's been awaiting export for a couple of years, but 'someone in the local government' has been blocking it. Even though the 'exporters' involved have payed a required sum, there have still been delays. However, it seems that things are now underway, and she should be moving back to the 'States soon.

Thats cool, I hadnt hear much about here since they got here out and then she got stuck pior side due to politic's.

I was able to find these pictures at the museum web page but they may have changed since restoration started.

When I took transition training in the B17 in Jan 1943 at Sebring, FL I flew in B17 C's, D's and E's. I don't recall the IAS for similar power settings, but the C and D were faster then the E. I remember that I had one plane up to 30,000 feet, only by diving a bit and then able to get an additional 100-200feet of altitude, this was done several times to get to 30K.

By any chance would you know the names of the 4 men in one of the pictures

just thought this would fit in here..been going thru the pictures of all items storedin the smitshonian ( and that is quite a few thousands ) and found this..the original outcast and drawing for the noseart on the swoose :)

GF

Attachments

• A19500183000.JPG
    A19500183000.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 44
As much as I like seeing old aircraft fly around, this one has way too much history behind it to tempt fate .....

I hope it stays earthbound.

Micdrow, it would be great seeing a B-17D, B-17F and B-17G all flying in formation, but I have to agree with syscom3 and TO that the Swoose and the Memphis Belle are too important historically to risk. As a sidenote, sometimes people talk about losing an historical plane as a tragedy without thinking that a fine pilot and/or crew have lost their lives also - Ill admit I've been guilty of this type of thinking. Remember that you can always rebuild or replicate an airplane, but never a lost human being. Something we all need to remember (including myself). As much as I love seeing the old warbirds fly, I sometimes find myself hoping that someday they'll all be safe in museums and accurate replicas will take their place, both ensuring the safety of the historical planes and making it safer for the brave pilots and crew who fly the warbirds (or their replicas). It won't be quite the same as seeing the originals flying, but worth the tradeoff. Just my two cents worth.

Venganza

I agree with venganza 100% and also with the tradgey of loss of lifes..and history..and when looking at the new Flugwerk FW 190 and the 262 that now flies ..its great to see the shape and paintschemes back in the air..but looking at the old birds like the swooze and liberty belle from a restoration point of view..IF they were to fly..all rivets out..all new wiering..almost all new skin..new wingspars..new structure ( due to corrison ).. and on and on..what is then left of the original bird..there are a few "originals " out there flying and restored..but what is "original" with them..the ID tag..some knobs in the cockpit and the grip..seat and instrumnetpanel ( probaly newmade that also ) can one call that the original warbird ?.. in my eyes no.. its not the same bird that saw combat anymore.. so i think that these birs should stay on the ground..make them "flayable" with engines running..ok.. but dont fly them.. we have the same in our museum regarding the Ju 88.. amny people come by and whish we could restore it to fly.. but then i start to explain what has to be done.. and how little then would be original..and they all say the same..make a copy instead..hehe AND that is something i would love to do..if somebody put up the money..hehe

just thought this would fit in here..been going thru the pictures of all items storedin the smitshonian ( and that is quite a few thousands ) and found this..the original outcast and drawing for the noseart on the swoose :)

GF

Great find there Guttorm, many thanks!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back