On The Deck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

img640.jpg

Putting a whole new meaning of "flying in the weeds" :D

I'm also quite fond of this type of camo, like the USAF & USMC's camouflage, it blends in with water, sky, and clouds, but also incorporates some types of tan that goes well with terrain (Hellenic Air Force).
I love awesome look of the Lightning -- while it was a bit heavy in overall design and had a comically small amount of fuel onboard, it was one of the few planes that could actually out-accelerate, out-accelerate, and out-climb an F-104. The takeoff acceleration might have even had the F-15 beat, which is an achievement unto itself.

Last edited:
My friend Jim Goodson was the top strafer of the 4th FG with 15+ ground kills. When his pals asked how he did so well at down on the deck flying he just replied " I go down as low as I think I can safely...and drop another foot". Well, Don Gentile took this to heart when he buzzed Deben field(at the request of an Signal Corps photographer) after surpassing Eddie Rickenbacker's score and it seems Deben had a slight rise in the ground right about center field. His P-51B "Shangri- La" was written off from the resulting crash.:( He was serious chewed out by the CO Don Blakeslee (great guy BTW) and grounded several days!
Lesson to be learned : The ground hurts...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back