One for the Aussies..........

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flightpath

Airman 1st Class
Nov 16, 2007
Tranby, Norway
G'day fellas, (I guess it doesnt have to be just for aussies)

I was looking at photos of WW2 RAAF pilots in the AWM archives when I came across this photo of a young Spitfire pilot from 453 squadron RAAF (418230 F/Sgt. B.S. Inglis of Geelong)..........

If you look at his wings you might notice that they are not RAAF wings but WW1 AFC wings! (I used to have a nice set like that).

I did a search to see if he might have had a relative in the AFC during WW1, there was only one Inglis in the AFC during WW1 and he was from from S.A., couldn't find out if he was a pilot.

(He does look like he has a sense of humour, or maybe proud of a WW1 AFC relative!)

I guess this one will remain a mystery!

cheers,

-John

Yep there might be quite a story there!

My AFC wings were the same type..........here they are with some other AFC items.................

W. H. Anderson had a long career in the AFC and RAAF, he was the the first australian to receive the DFC (on the very first day it was awarded), the first 3 squadron AFC pilot to down a german aircraft, and the first Squadron Leader in the RAAF (serial number 03).

Anderson commanded the squadrons that protected the eastern coast of Australia during WW2 and for a very short time the whole RAAF while the (stupid) War Cabinet brought in a (retired) RAF officer to lead the RAAF stateing that no RAAF officers were qualified or had the experiance.

I wrote an artical about him in Flightpath magazine a few years ago (Volume 10 number 1).

He retired after WW2 as Air Vice Marshall W. H. Anderson CBE, DFC, (MID), Belgian Croix-De-Guerre and died at his home in East Melbourne in 1975.

cheers,

-John

P.S.
In 1915 Anderson was a young Lt. in the AN&MF that fought the germans in New Guinea, he commanded a battery of 4.7" guns for a year at Rabal.

Last edited:
Very interesting John. I'd like to know the story behind him having those wings.

thanks for the link to the RNZAF museum Wildcat!

(Have you noticed that when you put the curser on the photo of the Avenger it says "Harvard in Aircraft Hall"?)

cheers,

-John

Hi A4K,

I just realised that you might not know that Australia was the only dominion country in WW1 that had it's own air arm: the 'Australian Flying Corps': canadians, NZers and other were flying in the RFC or RNAS.

The AFC had fighter and bomber/recce squadrons in France and Palestine and training squadrons in Australia and the UK.

It's a very interesting story, if you visit the AWM site you can learn a lot.

First World War, 1914-1918 units: Australians at War

cheers,

-John

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I didn't know that! I was wondering about the AFC on the wings as opposed to RFC...

You guys did well then to get the funding for your own Flying Corps, our 'New Zealand Permanent Air Force' (NZPAF) wasn't set up until 1923. (This became the RNZAF in 1937)

Thanks Andy!
I'd like to see photos or pictures of some of those aircraft if they exist, especially of the No.1 wing aircraft with boomerangs, kookies, etc on the fueslage...

Thanks Andy!
I'd like to see photos or pictures of some of those aircraft if they exist, especially of the No.1 wing aircraft with boomerangs, kookies, etc on the fueslage...

Here's a few for you A4K........... all photos from the AWM archives,

I think No.7 Training Sqdn had boomerangs, No.6 Training Sqdn. had kangaroos and some of the active AFC squadrons in France/Belgium used these too...........

By the way, I found a photo of a NZ pilot flying in the AFC for you........ I'll dig it up.

cheers,

-John

Lieutenant John Classon Courtney of Manly, NSW (originally of Auckland, New Zealand). He enlisted on 3 July 1916 in the Australian Flying Corps (AFC). He embarked from Melbourne, Vic on 17 January 1917 as a Temporary Flight Sergeant on B Flight of the AFC. He undertook some further flying instruction on his arrival in England, following which he was appointed a Second Lieutenant with 4 Squadron AFC on 17 November 1917, prior to the squadron's departure for France.

Information photo from the AWM, Canberra.

He was promoted to Lieutenant on 17 January 1918. On 7 April 1918, while leading a formation of aircraft on a bombing raid over the La Bassee-Lille road, his aircraft went into a vertical dive, burst into flames and crashed after being hit by a gun firing a 'flaming onion' shell. On 25 May a German airman dropped a message in Allied lines that Lt John Classon Courtney had been killed. He was aged 24.

Maybe you can find out more about him in New Zealand,

cheers,

-John

Dear friends:

As all you seen in my posts, I'm in a investigation on german U-617 and his attack for Wellington of RAF Gibraltar. In this incident, died of wounds infliged the Flighth Sergeant Walter Jones in the day 12/Sept/1943. Before several years, check CWGC, friends and other sources, I arrived at last at Air Force Museum Christchurch Attraction New Zealand Tourist Attractions Christchurch Entertainment and keep in contact with Miss Vicky Carrington in CONTACT who sent by mailpost his personal files in expedient, a matter very important for the rigth develope of our Research.

I suggest you keep in contact with this museum, for more details.

Jan.

Great info guys.

Hi Heinz,

what part of Melbourne are you in?

I grew up in Greensborough (26 years), Diamond Creek 2 years, Rosanna 1 year, Lilydale 9 years, Watsonia 1 year, Eltham 1 year and Ringwood for 2 years.

We might have met at airshows (I used to sell aircraft/flight items from an army tent at Mangalore, Point Cook and Wangaratta) or collectors meets (Melb gunshow used to be interesting from time to time).

cheers,

-John

Last edited:
No kidding mate? I was born in Greensborough

Did you ever make it to the Tyabb airshow?

Im living down towards the Mornington Peninsula these days.

Nice avatar btw, great shot of Caldwell

No kidding mate? I was born in Greensborough

Did you ever make it to the Tyabb airshow?

Im living down towards the Mornington Peninsula these days.

Nice avatar btw, great shot of Caldwell

I went to Greensborough S.S. and Watsonia Tech.
I havnt been to a Tyab air show but I know Judy Pay and have flown from Tyab in gliders when the VMFG (Victorian Motorless Flight Group) was visiting.

I knew the photographer who took the Caldwell photo and hundreds of WW2 RAAF photos held by the AWM, he used to live in Canberra, Ivisited his home and I sent one of his photos to Clive Caldwell in NSW and he signed it for me (and sent an extra signed as well).

cheers,

-John

Users who are viewing this thread