Opportunity lost - DB 16 cyl

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm sorry if my post drags the discussion off topic,...
You are wellcomed, without excuse :)

...but the Chrysler IV-2220 (aka XI-2220) was indeed a 60 degree V-16. Chrysler was keeping the engine narrow at 33.5 inches but also needed enough room in the Vee (between the cylinder banks) for the propeller shaft, which extend from the gear reduction in the middle of the engine.
Thanks for remark. Close situation was either with DB 609 V16 because Germans needed to have longitudinal tube for gun barrel for firing thorough propeller shaft that is clearly visible on cross section xix. But never the less I consider such config. of V16 rather poor design in sense of balancing torsion charge.

If you are interested in this engine, a new book dealing with the Chrysler IV-2220 was released either yesterday or today. The book does contain front and rear engine photos and a whole lot of information.
Thanks for info regarding the book. Unfortunately I have now possibility to buy it I am bot very fond of Chrysler airo engines but if it's possible I ask to share the info how was Chrysler IV ballanced, what was ignition order what was angle between cams of the camshaft. It would be nice to look at some drawings of it too.

Last edited:
Thanks for info regarding the book. Unfortunately I have now possibility to buy it I am bot very fond of Chrysler airo engines but if it's possible I ask to share the info how was Chrysler IV ballanced, what was ignition order what was angle between cams of the camshaft. It would be nice to look at some drawings of it too.

The Chrysler XIV-2220's crankshaft was made up of two halves that bolted together at the center reduction gear. Each half shaft had two integral counterweights at each end cheek. In this image you can see the extreme front and rear counterweights.
crankshaft.jpg

In this image you can see the middle two counterweights near the reduction gear.
Chrysler%20XI-2220_004.jpg

Final firing order was 1R, 4L, 5R, 2L, 7R, 6L, 3R, 1L, 8R, 5L 4R, 7L, 2R, 3L, 6R, 8L; cylinder 1 is the furthest from the propeller for each bank. (I originally said cylinder 1 was closest to the prop, which it originally was, but a revised cylinder numbering was used making cylinder 1 furthest from the prop.)

Intake valves opened at 46 degrees BTC (before top center) and closed at 70 degrees ABC (after bottom center). Exhaust valves opened at 70 degrees BBC (before bottom center) and closed at 46 degrees ATC (after top center).

Below are two patents that include drawings for the engine. The first is the patent for the basic engine (pdf).
www.google.com/patents/US2468976.pdf

And the second is a patent for a proposed contra-rotating propeller drive that shows the gearing layout (pdf).
www.google.com/patents/US2498767.pdf

Last edited:
One thing that would be interesting to know was how the new cylinder construction with wet liners worked out. Other DB engines generally used dry liners and at least some of these suffered from thermal problems. Was the DB 609 cylinder design changed in response to problems experienced with the DB 603 prototypes? One might have thought that, in the absence of such a motivation, the most expeditious design approach would be to simply scale the number of cylinders while making only the essential changes. Aside from this, were any DB 609 design features used in later versions of the DB603? I'm thinking of the DB 603N version in particular, which was intended to provide a large power increase, though the details of how this was to be achieved are unclear.

Last edited:
THX allot WJPearce for nicw docs! I'll study them.

The best and most authentic source regarding German aircraft engines is the book "Flugmotoren and Strahltriebwerke" (Aero Engines and Jet Engines) by Gersdorff, Schubert and Ebert (besides the excellent books from Antony L. Kay). There you will find a relative detailed description of the DB 609. Some technical infos: It was a parallel effort to the Jumo 222 and used the cylinder dimensions of the DB 603 but was a new construction. It was 267 mm longer than a DB 603 with a mass of 1.150 kg; max hp was 3.400 for the production version. It was intended for heavy fighters with contra rotating pops and with a motor cannon of a caliber up to 55 mm (so this may also be the reason for the v-angle).

DB diesel aero engines are also mentioned - the DB 607 diesel was built using the main parts of the DB 603 (crankshaft, housing, parts of the cylinder) and had a remarkable power of 1.750 hp (planned production version) with a weight of only 860 kg. Development was canceled 1941.

MB 509 - is V12 but not V16. Its clearly seen on bottom side views.
As far as I understand MB 509 could be supercharged version of MB 507 that was diesel version of DB 603 with 158/180 B/S cyls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back