Overflight - ID needed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
Ok guys, here's a challenge for you!

Back on the afternoon of 24 November, I heard the sound of radial engines approaching the shop. I finally saw these two airplanes and ran through the shop to my car out back, grabbed my camera and got off a few pix. Problem is, I had my 18-55 lens, so these shots are as good as it gets, they were at least 2,500 feet up. They've been cropped from the original, but not enlarged.

And sadly, by the time I was able to get the camera out and into action, they were already passed, so this is the best angle I was able to get.

The second aircraft sure looks like a F4F (or FM-2) Wildcat...the leader (blue one) looks like a Hellcat and like I said, both had radial engines...

Also, the second one was just a short distance behind the blue a/c, so the second one (Wildcat?) is actually a little smaller, as shown in the photo.

Attachments

• IMGP13657[800x532].jpg
    IMGP13657[800x532].jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMGP13659[800x532].jpg
    IMGP13659[800x532].jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I think the first one is a Beech T-34. Looks that way anyway.

Second one looks like a Piper 160 or so. Maybe even an old 140.

But the radial engine part stumps me cause the airframes....first one could be a Yak 18.

my first impressions were it was a comanche or cherokee...perhaps even an arrow. but think it is a cherokee. the wing designs on the arrow and comanche are tapered.

Attachments

• cherokee.jpg
    cherokee.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Maybe this can help a little bit.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 143
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg