P-29 or Spitfire wreck?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maxrobot1

Senior Airman
Sep 28, 2009
Sorry about the error in the title: It should say P-39!

I found this s picture when researching the U.S.Army in the North African Campaign. It was listed as a P-38 wreck but I think it is a P-39 Airacobra. I wondered if it is a Spitfire wreck but I'm leaning towards a P-39.
It doesn't look like it was destroyed on the ground because of the lack of debris around it. Anyway, the fuselage looks strongly built like a P-39. Notice the wing fillets were ripped off along with just about everything else.
army-27.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a P-39. The P-39 had tricycle landing gear and this has what looks like undercarriage door covers under the nose.

looks to me like there is a nose gear in the front section...if so that pretty much limits the type of ac. cant be a spit...or a 38

Don't think it's a P-39, guys...

Note the engine's location.

* Nevermind, I'm on the ipad and at first, it looked like the engine up front...but I looked closer and it looks like the nose gear assembly up there...my bad.

Last edited:
Everything is wrong for Spitfire, of any Marque !
It's a P-39, very probably a badly damaged or very 'weary' airframe, stripped for parts and left to rot, possibly after a ground incident.

Greg,

I looked at a few photos of P-39s and think this is an extremely butchered remains of one. However you get to crawl all over most stuff the rest of us only see at air shows once a year and with that in mind am curious what you think?

Using my iPad to zoom in on the pic there appears to be a nose gear door (ala P39), but don't see where the main gear wheels housing would be (although there appears to be some structure that MIGHT be for the inward retracting mechanism).

It also appears to be the rainy season (in the desert)?...

Cheers,
Biff

a lot of where the gear mechanisms and structure is gone.....but here is a pic to use as reference

sorry let me rotate the image so it faces the same direction...

Attachments

• bell_p-39.jpg
    bell_p-39.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Just gonna throw this out there for arguments sake since I also think its a P-39 but could it possibly be one of the booms from a p-38 with everything else around it destroyed?

The 3 things are dead giveaways: nose wheel well covers, two oil cooler flaps, wing-fuselage fairing outlined. It is a P-39: as (Joe?) said before - take it to the bank.

Just gonna throw this out there for arguments sake since I also think its a P-39 but could it possibly be one of the booms from a p-38 with everything else around it destroyed?
The P-38's wings were mounted higher on the "boom" and the nose gear assembly was housed in the center fuselage.

It's a P-39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back