P-38 Cockpit info? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JAMF

Airman
Apr 4, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but I've already found this forum a source of good info. But as is usual, one can always use more. I'm re-doing the P-38 cockpit on the AAA forum. I also put cockpit images I have collected of the internet so far on my Flickr account.

I also have these manuals:
p38ptm.jpg
p38pfoi.jpg

If you guys have images, drawings, more detailed photo's of components than the scans here, they're more than welcome.

Thank you for your time! :salute:

Hi and Welcome JAMF. Glad you work on the '38. My favourite dogfighter!!! Bring on the 190's, p47's/51's, 109's, zero's...der Gabelschwanzteufel is coming!! I've been following your progress at the AAA site. I'll look at home for some pics and references

edd

Thx Edd! Say hi to SA for me. :) I must have driven through Nelspruit on my way to Kruger.

So can you two speak to each other in either Afrikaans, or Dutch? Or can the two languages barely trade with each other any more?
I would be able to understand Afrikaans in a quiet environment for about 1 hour, but then I would be exhausted from concentrating so hard. :)

Ek is seker JAMF sal verstaan wat ek skryf. Ek dink Hollands en Afrikaans is baie dieselfde. Ek kan dit nogal maklik lees, maar jy moet maar stadig praat voor ek dit verstaan :)

Did you get it? :) :)

edd

Ek is seker JAMF sal verstaan wat ek skryf. Ek dink Hollands en Afrikaans is baie dieselfde. Ek kan dit nogal maklik lees, maar jy moet maar stadig praat voor ek dit verstaan :)

edd
'I am sure JAMF can understand what I write. I think Dutch and Afrikaans is...

lost me after that :) There is just the vaguest glimmer of German in there, that's mostly where I (hopefully) picked up (ek - ich; seker - sicher; verstaan - verstehen) and some Scandinavian (skryf - skriv; stadig - stadig, though not sure if that one means the same).
How'd I do?

Ja super man, Afrikaans is zoals wij hier een paar honderd jaar geleden praatte. Na dat de colonisten vertrokken heeft de taal zich niet echt meer ontwikkelt. Klink altijd wel mooi vind ikzelf, maar ik denk dat Fries (als in het accent) makkelijker voor je is. Zoals woorden als "stadig" (langzaam) wordt hier niet veel tot nooit gebruikt, of alleen onder de beter onderwezen.

Eng: Yes man that is super, Afrikaans (SouthAfrica language) is like we talked here some 100+ years ago./ After the colonist left the language didnt evolve itself very much. But it sounds super in my opinion, but i think Fries (a dutch accent) is more easy for you to understand. Words like "stadig" (slow) is used very often to never at all, or only used by the beter educated people.

Cool to c SouthAfrican talking here :p And sorry for being off-topic!

edd

Sorry a bit late to reply, but I was off on a holiday. :) I got it, so a translation into English:

I'm certain JAMF will understand what I write. I think Hollands and Afrikaans is almost the same. I can read this quite easily, but you will need to talk slowly for me to understand it. :)

To compare Dutch and Afrikaans side by side (seperated din.k to avoid emoticon):

Ek is seker JAMF sal verstaan wat ek skryf.
Ik ben zeker (dat) JAMF zal begrijpen wat ik schrijf.

Ek din.k Hollands en Afrikaans is baie dieselfde.
Ik denk Hollands en Afrikaans is bijna hetzelfde.

Ek kan dit nogal maklik lees, maar jy moet maar stadig praat voor ek dit verstaan.
Ik kan dit nogal makkelijk lezen, maar jij moet maar langzaam praten (spreken) voor ik het versta.

Some bits in Afrikaans is spoken more in the back of the throat and cut short, especially the "k". Words are said with more speed as well. At least when I attempt to do an impression. :)

@NastyDrZORN: I as topic starter don't see the harm. It can always use a bump.

So if anyone has close-ups of the prop feathering switch-covers? I think they are a work of art and should be in the pit. I saw them in photo's of the movable cockpit nacelle being used by a museum and people could sit in it. I would go wild like a Japanese tourist and take a 1000 macro shots of things like the switch-covers, the throttle constellation, the rudder trim, the numbers and letters embossed on the yoke... Too bad I'm nowhere near a 38 pit.

'I am sure JAMF can understand what I write. I think Dutch and Afrikaans is...

lost me after that :) There is just the vaguest glimmer of German in there, that's mostly where I (hopefully) picked up (ek - ich; seker - sicher; verstaan - verstehen) and some Scandinavian (skryf - skriv; stadig - stadig, though not sure if that one means the same).
How'd I do?
You did well. :) German and Dutch as a language have a common mother, called "Diets". Dutch stayed a bit closer to it. Afrikaans also has influences from German, as many of the boers (farmers) were from Germany and English left it's impression on Afrikaans too, after many years under English rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back