P-51 Crash in Chatham Mass

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

stangfan

Recruit
Oct 9, 2006
Does anyone know anything about the P-51 crash at Chatham MA airport in which the pilot was killed. I think this happened sometime in the 1990's.

Here's something from here Chatham* Fire Department

Fire Department History

The Chatham Fire Department was established in 1916. The Chatham rescue squad was established in 1949.
Major Fires Emergencies
1988 - June 2 - Rescue workers responded to a stone wall collapse at the site of a water main installation trench on Pleasant Street. One worker was trapped until freed by rescuers.
1990 - Sept 29 - Two men were killed when the P-51 they were flying crashed into the woods near the Chatham Airport.
1991 - Feb 9 - A 3 alarm fire destroyed the Acme Laundry complex on Route 28 in Chatham. The 75 year old 3 story wooden building was completely destroyed in the 0100 hours fire. 60 firefighters from several towns using 7 engines and 2 ladder trucks fought the fire.
1993 - June 14 - One man was killed and another escaped when a plane crashed into the waters off the Chatham Lighthouse.

Incident History
Year Fire EMS Total
1990 421 962 1,383
1992 466 1,055 1,521
1993 402 1,086 1,488
1994 446 1,250 1,696
!995
2000 2,158
2001 2,184
2002 567 1,670 2,237
2004 2.420
2005 2,456

1975 Apparatus Roster

Thanks Soundbreaker-Welch?,

With the date you gave me I found this in case anyone is interested.

Very sad. I wonder if the plane was salvaged.

NTSB Identification: NYC90DNA05 .
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 43847.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, September 29, 1990 in CHATHAM, MA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 3/12/1993
Aircraft: NORTH AMERICAN P-51D, registration: N51U
Injuries: 2 Fatal.
THE PILOT AND PASSENGER WERE RETURNING FROM A LOCAL FLIGHT. WITNESSES OBSERVED THE AIRPLANE EXECUTE A LOW PASS OVER THE RUNWAY AND 'PULL UP ABRUPTLY AND BANK STEEPLY TO THE LEFT.' THE AIRPLANE THEN ROLLED TO THE RIGHT AND CONTINUED ALONG THE INITIAL FLIGHT PATH IN A WINGS LEVEL ATTITUDE. ACCORDING TO ONE WITNESS THE AIRPLANE 'APPEARED TO STALL' AND DESCEND BEHIND TREES NEAR THE RUNWAY. POST ACCIDENT EXAMINATION OF THE WRECAKGE REVEALED NO EVIDENCE OF A PRE IMPACT MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION OR FAILURE OF THE ENGINE.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

THE PILOT'S FAILURE TO MAINTAIN FLYING SPEED WHICH RESULTED IN AN ACCELERATED STALL AND LOSS OF AIRPLANE CONTROL.

Serial Number 44-74204N Type Registration Individual
Manufacturer Name NORTH AMERICAN Certificate Issue Date 03/25/1993
Model P-51D Status Undel Tri
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 51460330
MFR Year None Fractional Owner NO

Does anyone know what Undel Tri means?

Hello Stangfan,
I saw a P-51 fly over today along with a B-17 (which made me look up info online, and thus finding your post) and it reminded me of the time I watched the P-51 crash approaching the Chatham airport. I grew up in Chatham, and my brother, father and I ran a boat repair business on Enterprise drive on top of the hill- which had a great view of everything approaching the airport. We used to watch the same P-51 fly over very often, and it would always fly over the airfield once and then land on the second approach. We could hear it from miles away, the sound of that rumbling old rolls royce engine. The day it crashed, we watched it fly over, but it never circled a second time with it's
gear down. We laughed at my father's "doom and gloom" attitude, but when we heard the sirens, we drove over to check it out. We showed up before the police, and at the same time as the fire department. The only thing left of the plane was the engine. He was an excellent pilot (you should have seen him fly!!!) and apparently (info heard second hand thru fellow pilots) he knew he was crashing and shut off the fuel supply before hitting ground as to cause minimal damage. The sound of that P-51 today brought all of those memories back.

Also, if your interested, my comments on other events listed from Soundbreaker Welch?:

1991 - Feb 9 - A 3 alarm fire destroyed the Acme Laundry complex on Route 28 in Chatham. The 75 year old 3 story wooden building was completely destroyed in the 0100 hours fire. 60 firefighters from several towns using 7 engines and 2 ladder trucks fought the fire.
*This was arson. The land was soon sold for real estate, and about 15 10mil dollar homes now reside on the property previously owned by ACME.

1993 - June 14 - One man was killed and another escaped when a plane crashed into the waters off the Chatham Lighthouse.
*This was Mr. Starr- a retired airline pilot. I used to work on his boats, and he took me flying in his plane a few times. He was out with a passenger (can't remember who) and passed low over his son-in-law's boat which was in the cut through just off the light house. The wing tip hit the water, and down they went. There was a lot of debate as to who was handling the plane at the time.

Cheers,
from a fellow Stang fan,
Matt

Very nice post Matt. I too saw a P-51 cartwheel into Boeing Field Seattle in the late 90s (right gear collapsed). Luckily the pilot walked away and the airframe suffered little damage.

Stick around the forum. You will find friends, fellow enthusiasts, and perhaps some chaps that open your eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back