P-51C Mustang Video

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have moved the thread from Basic section. Next time , please check if there isn't a proper section for a such things.

One thing I found odd ... the wheel doors.

Before start-up the doors were open. Then at engine start they close. But after take off they have to open yet again to let the wheels go up. After that they close and remain closed for the rest of the flight. Then before landing they open again to let the geat down but close yet again. But we saw that the doors were open before starting the engine. But maybe that was for a maintenance check.

So quite surprised about this as I would have expected the doors to stay open as long as the gear is down. And I wonder if it similar for other WW2 aircraft?

Kris

After engine start, as hydraulics pressurize, inner gear doors close. Normal gear retraction cycles inner doors open, gear retract, and inner doors follow again. On shutdown, as pressure bleeds, the doors sag and open.

twoeagles is correct, the inner doors sag when the engine is off due to loss of hydraulic pressure. Same thing happens on most big aircraft (747, C-17, ect). Look at them after engine shut down, and you will see the elevators and ailerons drooping, just because of no hydraulic pressure. But once it is on, they will spring into the nutureal position, just like the gear doors on the P-51 closing after engine start.

I posted my thread twice. Would you be so kind as to remove the most recent one.

I will put these in the correct place from now on.

Thank you

Thanks to all. I see that no one has got onto the signal the ground crewman gave to the pilot about the doors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back