P-61 Black Widow...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many of the early ones, yp models, had turrets. A few of the early A models and mid to later B models had them also. Biggest reason for not having them was because of the B29's.

Also interesting how they rev the engines before shutting them down.
As a kid I remember some folks doing that with their cars.

Dave, I recall that from when I researched my P-61 build. Weren't there buffeting problems initially as well

Many of the early ones, yp models, had turrets. A few of the early A models and mid to later B models had them also. Biggest reason for not having them was because of the B29's.

Hi, I'm wondering if my father, TF "Reggie" Gardner is the last living P-61 night fighter pilot. He was stationed at Hammer Field and also spent time in Kingman, Arizona. He is 96 years old and has lots of photos and original flight manuals and classified documents. He was discharged as a 1st lieutenant, and has a very sharp memory of the P-61 flight characteristics, (it can do a slow role, but at the expense of spilling your lit pipe contents) and all the characters and shenanigans that went on in the Army Air Force. He drives himself (yes, traveling only by night) across the country to New York every year to visit family, and stops in at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Reading, PA to see the progress of the P-61 restoration there. He's had to correct a few details, like correct positioning of the hatch, during his visits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back