P.M. Thatcher (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
She oversaw two recessions and unemployment was close to 12% in early 1984.

She is often credited with creating wealth but GDP never grew by more than 2% in her time. She created a wealthy few and increased the gap between the haves and have nots,mainly be increasing the numbers of the latter.

Despite being our first female PM the pay gap between men and women got bigger,worse for women,during her tenure.

Interest rates rose to record values,peaking at around 17%.

Under Thatcher poverty (defined as families living below 60% of median incomes) rose from 13.4% to 22.2% of the population.

Is it any wonder that her legacy is far from clear?

That situation is pretty much the same as most western countries at the time. Is it her legacy, or the hand she was dealt?

That situation is pretty much the same as most western countries at the time. Is it her legacy, or the hand she was dealt?

I think it is the way she played the hand she was dealt that causes so much controversy and disagreement today. Don't forget she was PM for 11 years,she had three goes at it.

I will be stuck in a rehearsal studio next Wednesday,but I bet someone sorts out a TV to watch the fun and games at her funeral. The Police will be able to use powers that she gave them to keep the protesters at bay :)

Cheers

Steve

The former colonies is all about the Maggie. Shame you couldn't vote for her.

.. rather generous summary from the Chinese State " People's Daily"

"Faced with a weak economy, she launched a series of broad reforms from which the British are still benefiting today. Mrs Thatcher, the most distinguished female politician of the 20th century, has left the world with glory and controversy. An era has ended."

Certainly a significant figure of the 20th century. Bit to far to the right for my liking, but if the alternatives were the likes of Arthur Scargill I probably would have bitten the bullet and voted for her myself.

.. rather generous summary from the Chinese State " People's Daily"

"Faced with a weak economy, she launched a series of broad reforms from which the British are still benefiting today. Mrs Thatcher, the most distinguished female politician of the 20th century, has left the world with glory and controversy. An era has ended."

Particularly as her era ended in November 1990!

Cheers

Steve

I am sorry that anyone should pass away but I will certainly not mourn 'Milksnatcher'.

I was closely involved with politicians (not one of them) at the time of her time and the hatred she inspired from some quarters is something that foreigners and younger people cannot imagine and that hatred survives.

No wonder she gets a 'ceremonial' funeral. No way would Parliament vote to pay for a state funeral. She had enough estate to meet her funeral costs, why should the public pay?

I wonder if she had the last laugh after all Steve

She will. She's as divisive now as she was then. Even I,who couldn't stand the woman,have been taken aback by the vehemence of some of the comments people have made on her passing. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are riots on Wednesday.
Hopefully those who really do remember and still bear a grievance are a bit older and more sensible,but there are always some looking to jump on any passing bandwagon.
Cheers
Steve

She will. She's as divisive now as she was then. Even I,who couldn't stand the woman,have been taken aback by the vehemence of some of the comments people have made on her passing. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are riots on Wednesday.
Hopefully those who really do remember and still bear a grievance are a bit older and more sensible,but there are always some looking to jump on any passing bandwagon.
Cheers
Steve

Very true. But, the age thing also applies to her so called admirers. My brother in law was in school when Thatcher was in power.
Yet he is a great defender of her. I have told him that I cannot be bothered to argue with him as he 'wasn't there'.
Anyway, that's enough from me.
I hate the thought that Andrew Marr mentioned 'that we are all Thatcher's children'.
Mon dieu
Cheers
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back