P51 instrument panel help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aqua_ta

Airman 1st Class
Aug 9, 2008
Southampton,England
Hello, I'm in the process of building an Airfix 1/24 scale P51D/K after about 15+ years since my last build and I have started to paint (badly) the instrument panel. I have noticed however that the panel doesn't look anything like P51 panels I have in my reference books.
Is this panel incorrect? or is it a different type?
Thank you

Attachments

• DSCF2157.JPG
    DSCF2157.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 250
Not that far out, I think.

Attachments

• scan0030.jpg
    scan0030.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 640
  • scan0031.jpg
    scan0031.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 544
It's just that there seems to be more dials than original and in different places.If you look at the yellow line that borders the flight dials you'll see on mine I can't do that because of the position of the dials.

The kit panel appears to be modelled on either a Mustang Mk 1, or an early P51B, before the 'Basic Six' were grouped. It isn't a D/K panel.

I agree with the post above. The pilot panel that comes with the kit looks like the one for the early P-51A or P-51B/C. Here two shots of P-51 panels..In the first picture the P-51B/C panel and in the bottom one the indicator panel for P-51D-5.

Attachments

• P-51B_C pilot panel.jpg
    P-51B_C pilot panel.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 719
  • P-51D-5 pilot panel.jpg
    P-51D-5 pilot panel.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,771
Wurger I think you nailed it, since the early panel is more or less a match for mine.
How could Airfix make such a blunder which in the scale of this size will stand out more?
Thanks for all your responses.

You'r welcome. :)

Unfortunately Airfix is not the only firm that offers models with many mistakes. This one is really the minor one.

Last edited:
It happens quite a loy with Mustang kits, where a 'B' will have a 'D' panel and vice versa. Bear in mind the Airfix 1/24th scale kit was first issued in 1972, so might not have had the benefit of 'todays' methods and access to the real thing. The big 'goof' on this kit, unless it's been corrected, are the landing gear legs - the oleos are at full stretch!

Nope they haven't corrected it, the oleo's are at full extension.
Also the right side cockpit panel has the Detrola box for the rear warning radar, but the kit doesn't have its aerials on the fin, also there is absolutely no detail in the wheel wells.
What gets me though is that despite the age of the kit, there isn't exactly a shortage of P51s especially the 'D' varient.:|

True, but there was back in 1972, in the UK. Still no excuse though. When this kit was first released, it was 'ground breaking', and received very warm reviews. And it was priced at £2.75......things have come a long way since then...especially the price!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back