Painting around clear parts

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crunch

Senior Airman
Hey gang.

Just seeking some advice on how you would go about painting things like windows where you have to glue them in place before you put the fuselage together.

I'm currently doing a 1/72 SM79, and can't get my head around how to do it without getting overspray on the clears, or have the paint go where I don't want to.

Is there a way to mask, fix in place, paint the whole thing, then remove the mask so it's all perfect?

I agree with Wayne.Maskol is a good way for masking especially these small areas.Of course you can use the paper yellow Tamiya masking tape or that for house painters.But in the case you have to cut off a piece of the shape of the masking area.

I agree Maskol is the best for the job as you just paint it on the area to mask and rub off after .Im not sure but i think you can get it from art shops

Maskol is a Humbrol product, available from model shops that stock Humbrol paints/products. There are similar products, under different trade names, from other manufacturers, from model or art/craft shops. If in doubt, ask for a liquid mask. If unable to obtain any, you can use PVA, slightly diluted - but test it first to check consistency, and don't leave it in place too long. Also, ALL liquid masks tend to shrink back slightly as they dry, so ensure the required area is covered before painting, and leave at least 15 minutes to dry before painting. As soon as possible after painting, when the paint is dry enough not to peel or lift, remove the 'mask', by gently lifting an edge, and peeling off.

May I suggest Elmers White Glue (or regional equivalent)? Paint it on the windows and peel off after spraying. If it is too thick, dilute it with a little water. If you have trouble seeing where you put it, and a little food coloring (red or blue).

Incidently I find a black sharpie magic marker to be an excellent quick primmer to detect imperfections in previously laid down and sanded putty.

See, two tips for the price of one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back