painting with gloss collors (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TimEwers

Airman 1st Class
Aug 28, 2010
I am doing a pt17 as well as a pt20 is there any special precautions I should take when doing the gloss collors they call for. Never really painted with gloss before so I am just kinda wondering. Thanks

Sorry it's gonna be brush painted no air brush yet, and I,ve never used any primer is it nessesary?.

Sorry it's gonna be brush painted no air brush yet, and I,ve never used any primer is it nessesary?.

YES! My experience with gloss is that it doesn't stick well to bare plastic - it drips and runs and sets off a volley of four-letter invective and a desire to hurl the paint across the room. For dark gloss colors a good gray primer works, and for yellow, red and white gloss I use Tamiya Fine White Primer out of a rattle can.

I,ve never used any primer is it nessesary?.

It depends on a kind of paints you are going to use. If these are acrylic ( water) paints it would be good if you applied a light grey or white enamel for instance. ALso you can use the Tamiya Fine White Primer mentioned above by JA.
Some info about gloss paints. Usually these get drying a little bit longer than those matt ones. The next layer of a paint has to be appiled on a surface when the previous coat is dry fully. Use brushes with soft hairs. Don't try to correct just applied layer of a paint. Apply a paint with a thin coat.

Last edited:
Viscosity is important. too thick and ridges form to thin and the gloss starts to flatten or dull. with a paint brush I'd keep it on the thin side and use multiple thin coats letting each dry and flatten out

He is a history at the moment. Don't worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back