Panzer graveyard in Bulgaria

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

>>According to experts quoted by the 24 Hours daily newspaper, the tanks were unfit for combat, but valued on the antiquities market at up to €50,000 (US$72,000).

That sounds reasonable to me.. maybe i'll take out a second mortgage and put a hetzer on my lawn...

.... but it would probably cost a million to transport it anywhere!

I hope the thieves didnt do any damage when they were dismantled.

Apparently an attraction for tourists, I recognized a Hetzer, a jagdpanzer IV and the last picture could be a Tigre 2 - Henschel turret (barrel seems too short but it may be the angle)

Can't be a Tiger II; you're right, the barrel's too short. Also, it's not "stepped", as the two-piece KwK 43 L/71 is; nor is there a muzzle brake on the end (though that could've been removed; they're just threaded on the end, so it could've been removed before it got "rusted" on).

It's really quite sad to see these "works of art" rusting away in a foreign country; I'm quite surprised enthusiasts and collectors haven't already tried to purchase these "wrecks" from the Bulagrian government. Maybe they will now.

I agree with SoD, can't be a Tigre II . Not a Panther either, the turret is too big and the gun too thick and w/o muzzle brake.

Perhaps the last pic has nothing to do with the others: the source is a 'generic' newspaper and it may be that they just added 'a nice tank pic' to the original serie.
The shape in effect reminds of a more modern tank than a wwII panzer.

It's really quite sad to see these "works of art" rusting away in a foreign country; I'm quite surprised enthusiasts and collectors haven't already tried to purchase these "wrecks" from the Bulagrian government. Maybe they will now.

Bulgaria actually has some pretty strict antiquity laws. I highly doubt that they would just let them go to the highest bidder.

It's not a tiger II or a panther. It's a jadgtiger. A 128 mm gun mounted on the tiger II chassis. Hope this helps

Attachments

• Jadgtiger.jpg
    Jadgtiger.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 77
  • jagdtigerconsuspensinhexr7.jpg
    jagdtigerconsuspensinhexr7.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 84
Parmigiano wrote in February:

"Apparently an attraction for tourists, I recognized a Hetzer, a jagdpanzer IV and the last picture could be a Tigre 2 - Henschel turret (barrel seems too short but it may be the angle)"

Where is Bulgaria were these located?

Thank you,

Mike

Nr:1 is a very early Jagdpanzer IV
Nr:2 is a T34-85 turret
Nr:3 is a dug down Pz IV
Nr:4 is the same as pict. 1
Nr:5 is four Pz IVs, two Stug IIIs and one Pz IV with a Soviet ZIS 3 gun.
Nr:6 is again a T34-85 turret

Parmigiano wrote in February:

"Apparently an attraction for tourists, I recognized a Hetzer, a jagdpanzer IV and the last picture could be a Tigre 2 - Henschel turret (barrel seems too short but it may be the angle)"

Where is Bulgaria were these located?

Thank you,

Mike

According to the caption they are located near a town named 'Yambol'

Yambol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back