PBY CATALINA (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

deckape

Staff Sergeant
Jul 26, 2011
Moraine Ohio U.S.A.
Ahoy
Here is a new build I am starting this is the classic PBY Catalina flyingboat by Guillows this is a huge beast of a kit to say the least, I will be on this build for a while a lot to do. when finished this will be a typical PBY. Later tonight I will post a update here is the PBY in its un opened box.
Boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 218
Ahoy
Here I go again here is the update for the Catalina build, the two photos show the fuselage formers layout and the fuselage keel parts all formers have to be prepared by opening the notchs for the stringers to pass through before they are glued in to position. After I have the formers and side keels in place i will fill in between the stgringers with sheet balsa instead of useing tissue. I should have done this on my Dauntless. here are the updates more tomorrow.

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 336
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 179
Good-on-ya matey......

I had a 1/4 scal Citabria going when I was in the States. I had to give it away when I moved her to Australia. I really would like to do another balsa job.

Looking forward to seeing this underway.

Ahoy
thank you Wurger and everyone for your wonderfull and warm replies on my dumbo again I am honored, Okay mates here is the third shot of the build after all formers and side keels have been glued down I let this stagge of construction dry over night. today I will start on the right side and then lay down the stringers, After I place all stringers in thier locations I will fill in between them with sheet balsa, the only tissue covering that will be applied will be on the elevators,rudder,and the rear trailing edges of the wing. stay tune my friends i will keep your peepers busy. Here is the update shot.

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 178
Good stuff Boats, and certainly going to be one massive, impressive model! Makes me want to build the B-17 even more, but my house ain't big enough !

Good stuff Boats, and certainly going to be one massive, impressive model! Makes me want to build the B-17 even more, but my house ain't big enough !

Ahoy Terry
Indeed she is sir shye will be one heck of a behemouth when done these guilllow kits are pretty well engineered, a lot better then their old stuff but in turn their old stuff is worth more and concisdered colectors items and make dandy display projects too. The Guillows B-17 is massive enough with a huge 45 inch wingspan is big enough I will enclose my card model B-17 in 1/33 scale 40 inmch span a little more then a meter long. thanks for your reply i will kjeep your peepers busy. Say Terry who won the foriegn aircraft group build ?.

boats

Attachments

• PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 283
Ahoy
Okay fellas here is another update i should have a couple more late this evening. I have the Right side formers all glued down useing alignment sticks to keep the formers straight i am now working on the stringers then the next step will be filling in between the stringers with sheet balsa.

Boats

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 92
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 107
Certainly progressing well Boats, and that card B-17 is impressive. The judging for the 'Foreign Service' GB is still underway, and the results should be posted soon - it's a case of the judges finding time to do it, and Wojtek getting time to post it (when he's allowed home from work!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back