peeling clear coat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aqua_ta

Airman 1st Class
Aug 9, 2008
Southampton,England
Hi guys, I am building Academy's 1/48 P-47D nose art kit and I'm having a bit of a problem.
I have sprayed it with the Humbrol polished aluminum metal cote enamel, which I have then sealed with Revell aquacolor acrylic clear gloss. The problem is when I mask the clear coat peels off with the tape like a skin and is leaving large sections of the aircraft with a skin peel effect. Is there a problem putting a acrylic clear over enamel base?

Usually there isn't. I'm afraid you made a mistake and followed a wrong way. The acrylic clear coat hasn't been needed. Unless the metal enamel is a metalizer paint type (Metalcoat). Then the Testors (ModelMaster) Sealer - no.1469 should be used. Of course polishing might be done firstly.

An acrylic one is a good choice. Therefore I would suggest the Testors (ModelMaster) Sealer - no.1469. Also you can use Sidolux ( Pronto ) for floor preservation and a few others. But all of them are nothing more like an acrylic gloss coat.

BTW.... what is the number of the Humbrol polished aluminum metal cote enamel ?

Last edited:
Strange, the Revell aquacolor gloss clear is an acrylic so maybe it is the make up of that brand that's the problem.
The Humbrol metalcote is 27002 and it looks fab, I will take a picture soon to hopefully show how it looks.
Thanks

Any pic will be welcome.... I know the Humbrol 27002 metalizer. The problem is with the Revell acrylic gloss clear coat rather. I think it is because of its chemical composition that isn't suitable for Humbrols. I had a few similar problems with Revell paints in the past.

Testors Clear Cote is the Law, it won't cause you any head aches. In regards to coats, I'd do a thing coat, wait a couple hours do another, I'd do around maybe 3-4 coats in 2-3 days period, then let it dry for a day or two in a place clear of dust. After that you should be able to apply tape without peeling np :)

Hope that helped

Igor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back