Philippine Field Marshal Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davebender

1st Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2009
Michigan, USA
15 Nov 1935.
Philippine Commonwealth Government inaugurated in Manila.

21 Dec 1935.
Philippine Commonwealth Act No. 1.
An act to provide for the national defense of the Philippines.
…..Historically this act was written with the advice of Gen. MacArthur who became commander of the Philippine armed forces from 1936 onward.
…..Annual budget of about 16 million pesos (about $8 million U.S.). However that didn't include lucrative salary and bonuses paid to Philippine Field Marshal MacArthur and his top assistants.
…..Contrary to popular belief the newly created Philippine Army did not receive free equipment from the U.S. Army and any training assistance was minimal. Prior to 26 July 1941 the Philippine Army was funded by Philippine taxpayers. Consequently they had the option to appoint someone other then MacArthur and could purchase military equipment from anyone willing to sell.

Point of Departure.
December 1935.
Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck appointed commander of the new Philippine Army.
…..Normally the USA would oppose a German for this position. However his dislike for Hitler and the German Nazi Party was well known. After 1935 he was persona non grata as far as the German Government was concerned. So why shouldn't Lettow-Vorbeck consider overseas employment with a friendly Asian nation?
…..MacArthur spent a lot of time trying to convince people he was a military genius. Lettow-Vorbeck doesn't need to convince anyone. His WWI combat record for organizing, training and leading soldiers using minimal resources speaks for itself.
…..Philippine Commonwealth Act No. 1 will be written with the advice of Lettow-Vorbeck. Hence it will reflect his ideas and the new Philippine Army will be structured different from the historical army created by MacArthur.

Send hm to Oz first!!! If the Ozians will have him. Demcracies are notoriously picky about their leadership. Evidently the USA was besotted with their rock-star General Big Mac. A man who woud order his troops to fire on their own countrymen-veteran soldiers. What's not to love? Nevermind... On second though, let Paul have the PI. Just resurrect Billy Mitchell and send him to Oz. I think my chauvinism is showing. Gonna swear off what ifs. I find it rots the brain. :confused:

Last edited:
Lettow-Vorbeck beat the snot out of Britain for 4 years. Rommel beat the snot out of Britain for 2 years. Yet these German generals were practically hero worshipped in Britain. How is that possible? :confused:

Hi guys,and how well did the Pilipino army perform during the Japanese invasion iyo.? Considering he was the C.O.for 5-6 yrs,I'm sorry if that doesn't make any sense.Starling.

Essentially similiar to the U.S. Army. Which is no surprise since former U.S. Army Chief of Staff MacArthur was responsible for operational doctrine, organization, training and leadership selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back