Picture ID help needed WW2 Europe street scene

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
We plan on using this WW2 Europe street scene in a museum.
Need to know where, when and any
Unknown street Europe WW2.JPG
info about it.
looks like France with American GIs

Es ist mit Sicherheit Deutschland! It is certainly Germany !!

I edited my post:

The language on the sign is German or Dutch. If you zoom in the middle, it looks like a gas pump to me, with the letters S H E L L , anyone know if Royal Dutch Shell sold gasoline in Nazi Germany? If not, it maybe a town in Holland.

Wittig is a German surname, not Dutch. The distinguished German surname Wittig comes from the former southwestern duchy of Swabia, around Bavaria.
Wittig Name Meaning, Family History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms

My vote would be a town somewhere in Bavaria, the GIs from the 3rd or 7th Army

Last edited:
Many shop signs in occupied Europe were written in German. This is Paris...

1547790759331.png

MANY MANY COPIES OF THIS ON THE WEB VIA GOOGLE REVERSE IMAGE SEARCH, MOSTLY FOREIGN LANGUAGE, UNABLE TO FIND THE ORIGINAL OWNER

Last edited:
In regards to the Shell fuel pump observation, Shell Oil was a Dutch company and when Germany occupied Holland, Shell fell under German authority.
However, the bulk of Shell's oil came from the West Indies, which had been taken over by the Japanese and any oil production was diverted to the Japanese war effort.
Plus, virtually all fuel within the German occupied areas was dedicated to the war effort, so there's a very good chance that the fuel pump seen in the photo had been sitting idle for quite some time.

Many shop signs in occupied Europe were written in German. This is Paris...

View attachment 526103
MANY MANY COPIES OF THIS ON THE WEB VIA GOOGLE REVERSE IMAGE SEARCH, MOSTLY FOREIGN LANGUAGE, UNABLE TO FIND THE ORIGINAL OWNER
It's not that type of shop/store compared to the Soldatenkaffee in Paris. The complete sign probably was "Warenhandlung Otto Wittig Nachf." Warenhandlung is the German word for a general store. Often in combination with a bakery called Backerei und Warenhandlung or it could be Gemischtwarenhandlung = variety store. I think this cannot be one of the occupied territories, because of the last word Nachf.= Nachfolger (successor). The meaning of the abbreviation AFAIK is that the new owner has taken at some point over the business or bought the store of Otto Wittig, the former owner. This usually shows a longer period of use by the original owner before the successor started. I think this is a place in Germany.
The house on the right side with the clock has some interesting frieze with patterns. One of them is an anchor. This is probably some administrative or office building and anchors very often are symbols of some shipbuilding industry or maritime transport in the area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back