Picture of the day (general).... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It seems like in every picture I see of this guy, he is calculating the bottom line.
General Curtis LeMay (1).jpg

Farman Jabiru.
A good challenger for the Quasimodo of the airliners challenge.
The appealing look of sympathetic ugliness, like the bird its name was borrowed from.

View attachment 703407
If one has the stomach 2 other picks (Pigs would be better)

Had two of those in my "3-banger fleet" back in the day. Swapped engines and trannies car to car all the time. My competition engine/tranny migrated like a Bedouin around the fleet. One of the 95s was lightened in a stealthy way, had Koni shocks, and with the hot setup, would startle and embarrass Triumph, MG, and Austin Healey drivers who thought they ruled the stoplight drags. My actual ice racer and pylon polisher, decorated accordingly, sported a dog engine in the off season, and wore the reputation of "ninety seven pound weakling", preparing the competition for a surprise on race day.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
X XBe02Drvr Got some pictures?
1968-69, driving bus for $1.55/hr, my money got sucked up by my SAABs, leaving none for cameras. At various times, I had a 93, two 95s, and four 96s. Rusted SAABs in need of a floor patch and new crankshaft bearings were a dime a dozen in the northcountry. Americans used to four stroke engines didn't understand the need to "pickle" a two stroke if it was going to be parked for the winter. (Why anyone would park a SAAB for the winter escapes me! But they did.) Hold the throttle wide open and pour motor oil down the carb til it dies in a cloud of blue smoke, and your bearings are protected from condensation rust pits. Don't do it, and your engine will come unglued next summer shortly after it hits 5500 RPM. A guy down the street would turn and polish the crank journals for $25, and a set of oversize bearings could be had for $14. Put in a Mallory coil, remove the air cleaner and the baffles from muffler and resonator, and your demure little pussycat turns into a tiger that'll turn 8 grand, but careful, she'll over-rev easily. Throw in a $99 roller crank, grind the ports a little deeper, and "enrich" your gas/oil mixture, and she'll scream 10.5 and dyno 115HP. (On 850cc!) Now put your air cleaner and your baffles back in, and the tiger goes stealth and purrs like a pussycat again. The only giveaway (to the initiated) is the snappy throttle response and the absence of the "riinng-ding-ding-ding-ding" rundown. Long fun, short money.
I'll have to go digging and see if I can find a picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back