Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Scale models I built 50 years ago.
My niece sent me this from my old home yesterday.
This is nothing but a picture of the day !

Scale_models.JPG

Thank you. It somehow makes it more human knowing the advertisements. Seeing the mundane day to day things printed, even in war, makes it more relatable.

What the world did not acknowledge well would be that Japanese casualties in the Pacific War was about 3% of the population and most of the citizens maintained almost ordinary lives. This would be why the Japanese society recovered from the damage of war so quickly. I am surprised to see a Japanese old movie "Wonderful Sunday (1947)" because the war victims were already treated as the minority in two years after the war was over.

Japanese movie "Wonderful Sunday (1947)" - A poor man searching for better job.
Wonderful_Sunday_1947.jpg

Source: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6O2FfvpUCo

Last edited:
What the world did not acknowledge well would be that Japanese casualties in the Pacific War was about 3% of the population and most of the citizens maintained almost ordinary lives. This would be why the Japanese society recovered from the damage of war so quickly. I am surprised to see a Japanese old movie "Wonderful Sunday (1947)" because the war victims were already treated as the minority in two years after the war was over.

Japanese movie "Wonderful Sunday (1947)" - A poor man searching for better job.
View attachment 599185
Source: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6O2FfvpUCo
Very enlightening. Not at all what I would have thought. Good stuff!

They have quite an alumni.

Sure do:

Kikunae Ikeda, discoverer of monosodium glutamate and the umami flavor

The yummiest invention (that will give you heart disease...)

Yoshio Nishina, leading atomic physicist who worked with Bohr, Einstein, Heisenberg and Dirac

...as well as Ernest Rutherford, who was the director of the Cavendish Laboratory at the time of Nishina's visit. Throughout his career Rutherford tutored an astonishing 11 future Nobel Prize winners, including Bohr, with whom he researched the make up of the atom as we know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back