Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WW2 junge soldier of der imperiale japanische Armee (Original Foto) | eBay

1612267182812.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Folded collar of the army uniform shows the pic was taken after 1938 with the rank of Warrant Officer.

************************************************************************************************************************

America introduced to the Japanese people in early 1939.

A bookmobile in New York.
写真週報 47号 昭和14年1月11日号.jpg

The time of cellophane. Americans love the cellophane for a transparent suitcase while Germans use it for a slope.
写真週報 62号 昭和14年4月26日号__.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Once again, failing memory. I "knew" the C.102 was first from my youth. Then Airfames has to correct me. Since I did not want to believe newer sources, this caused me to find my copy of "Jet Aircraft of the World, 1955" where I learned all this in my youth. There it was, just as Airframes said, D.H. Comet 27 Jul 49 and Avro C.102 10 AUG 49. I did learn why I was sure the C.102 was first, because the text said "first to fly on the American continent". I stand corrected again.

A Japanese engineer developed the world's first CRT type television set in 1926 but no one believed this 50 years ago.
I am glad Wikipedia describes this nowadays.

"Kenjiro Takayanagi was a Japanese engineer and a pioneer in the development of television. Although he failed to gain much recognition in the West, he built the world's first all-electronic television receiver and is referred to as "the father of Japanese television". "

Source: Kenjiro Takayanagi - Wikipedia

Looking back my younger days, strange to me, my parents and school teachers taught me how life was during the wartime but how it was before the war. I now think that it would not have been so much different from the postwar life for them. I remember that they simply said "Peace came back".

Preparation for the experimental TV broadcasting goes on at NHK in April, 1939.
写真週報 62号 昭和14年4月26日号_.jpg

Last edited:
Flying sparks from Europe.

On January 21, 1940, in the face of Tokyo Bay, a Japanese passenger ship M/S Asama Maru from San Francisco was ordered to halt by a British warship HMS Liverpool for inspection suddenly as 51 German passengers were aboard. They were exiles of a sunken German passenger ship S/S Columbus from the east coast of America.

After inspection, 21 German passengers were identified as the possible military men and had been taken away to Hong Kong to be detained.
The Japanese government and public fiercely condemned this audacious action and requested UK to return all of them immediately.
After negotiation for a month, 9 of them were freed.

The Asama Maru Incident
The Asama Maru Incident: Implications for today

A captured German. Non German passengers are looking down a British boat.
写真週報 101号 昭和15年1月31日号.jpg

Freed in front of the German Consulate in Yokohama
写真週報 107号 昭和15年3月13日号.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back