Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trains are restricted to running on tracks that may be destroyed. Unlike motor vehicles, they can't cut across country when necessary. Beware of Wikipedia, they are just of internet folks with another opinion.
No no. Please do at least some research. I live in Europe. I have been all over it. Everywhere there are still train tracks. Western europe was riddled with railroads. From the time steam engines were strong enough railroads exploded in track miles. We are talking 1900 to 1960 here. Even in ww2 railrods although heavily attacked were functioning. The Germans i.g. had no problem transporting heavy armour around like Tiger 1 and 2. Called it even the fire brigade. From east to west front. Sure the lost trains but only the system collapsed when to many junction were either taken or bombed to oblivion. So to recap autobahns were for cars connecting cities. That was why the were made. Ofcourse you can drive a truck with ammo over it but that was not why the started building. Trains were the main transport in the east and occupied Europe ww2.
Western allies were less fortunate. They bombed the crap out of every bridge and station and junction. Works well untill you supie lines get stretched because truck can take the amount of cargo trains can. Not by far.

Deutschland Köln deutsche Eisenbahnnetz Routen antik Original 1905

Eisenbahnkarte Kiel Deutschland Flensburg deutschen Eisenbahnnetz antik Original 1905

Deutschland München Augsburg deutschen Eisenbahnnetz antik Original 1905

Großbritannien Irland Irische Eisenbahnnetz antik Original 1905

ETC.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I used to be surprised by the lack of a magnetic declination note in the keys of those old aviation maps. But - of course - if the planes weren't carrying compasses, the declination didn't matter!

Cheers,

Dana

Thank you for posting this picture, Shinpachi. The difference is striking! For those who do not know, the earlier picture was taken when I lived in Tokyo in 1947 to 1950.
I sent these prints to the address shown on the pic early this week because the shop's name and address seemed to be still alive. Today, I received letter from one of the family members of the pic, Mitsuo Onozawa, with his gratitude. He is a younger brother of the two boys on the pic. The shop opened on October 15, 1926 and closed on March 31, 2022. One of the girls on the pic is his sister too. As his mother's family lived nearby the Grant Heights, he was also so familiar with the place. He did not mention how his siblings are but seem to be fine living other places. He confirmed your video on YouTube with great gratitude for you too

This is amazing! Thank you for doing this, Shinpachi. It continues the story told in that photo. We wish the Onozawa family well. Who would have thought that after so many years I would find out about them.

As memo serves, the expression "in the picture" is correct for the English and other languages belonged to the same family.
The one "on the picture" is more characteristic not only for the Russian but also for Polish, Czech, Slovak , Ukrainian etc ones ... in other worlds for the Slavonic language group. It seems all that depends on the way we threat the images or other items we try to depict while creating the 3D view using the 2D one.
However it should be said that the Russian language still uses a lot of the old Slavonic grammatical structures ( including the cyrillic script ) that were abandoned by most of Slavic languages and writings in favor of Latin ones.

There is a kind of a joke concering that ... if a bird perched on a branch - does it mean the bird is sitting on or standing on that?

Very interesting Wojtek. Thanks for a good lecture.
If a bird is in a branch, we understand it like the branch should be a tube.
Very interesting. Thanks again

Yes, exactly, my firend. If the branch is considered to be the tube ( pipe ) using of the preposition "in" means that the bird would be inside of the tube/pipe. And this gives a third dimension to the flat picture. Certainly we can say that birds live both on a tree and in a tree. However, if "in a tree" we mean the hollows and that gives just the 3D again. Also we can use "in trees". But in the case, the crowns of trees are meant. Anyway the trees got the 3D appearance by using words as well.
And this is the reason for using the prepositions "in" or "on". In the English the "in a picture" gives the third dimension to the flat image while in Polish, the picture is just the flat sheet of paper. So we use the "on" preposition. On the other hand, in the English it is used "on TV" or "on the radio". In Polish it is "in TV" and "in the radio". It seems we use "in" because both the TV set and the radio devices are boxes ( at least , in the past ). Both the sound and the television picture come from their insides. A box is an object 3D type, so there has to be used the preposition "in". Just my opinion.

Here is a rare photo of General MacArthur's motor yacht "Leyte". We went for a ride on it out of it's berth in Yokohama and the next day it blew up! It was determined to be caused by gasoline fumes in the bilges, not sabotage. I have never seen another picture of this yacht or any account of this incident. Has anyone found any information?

Attachments

• Kathy and Neil- Macarthur's boat ride in Yokohama. Following week it blew up and sank.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36

Attachments

• Mitsui Shipyard- Nagasaki 2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 30
  • Mitsui Shipyard- Nagasaki 1.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread