Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Postwar i think.

1666347253586.png

1666347274851.png

1666347343711.png

1. Vintage Japanese Photograph Military Photo Japan WW2 WW11 1940 Uniforms Men | eBay
  2. Vintage Japanese Photograph Military Photo Japan WW2 WW11 1940s Soldiers Buses | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Shinpachi, Thank you for the information on the camera. Here is a photo that was taken with it in 1949.

At the end of the war there were remaining stocks of raw material such as sheet aluminum so it was used to build items for sale so that income could be generated for their workers. I will take a photo of that trunk and post it.
Shinpachi, here is a cell phone picture of the Japanese-made aluminum trunk we bought in the Tokyo PX. It is marked "AIKOKU" which is probably the manufacturer or seller's name; perhaps you know something about this company? As you can see, it is constructed of aircraft materials using aircraft techniques. The aluminum Has accumulated a little corrosion over the past 74 years so the aluminum alloy is not "Alclad" but probably some high strength alloy was used for the flat panels and a more easily formed alloy for the formed pieces.
We had to break one hasp when we lost the key. I may be wrong about the Mitsubishi connection.
"CPO" = Central Purchasing Office, "GHQ" = General Headquarters, "FEC" = Far East Command.

Attachments

• 20221022_155441[1].jpg
    20221022_155441[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20221022_155404[1].jpg
    20221022_155404[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20221022_155325[1].jpg
    20221022_155325[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Shinpachi, here is a cell phone picture of the Japanese-made aluminum trunk we bought in the Tokyo PX. It is marked "AIKOKU" which is probably the manufacturer or seller's name; perhaps you know something about this company? As you can see, it is constructed of aircraft materials using aircraft techniques. The aluminum Has accumulated a little corrosion over the past 74 years so the aluminum alloy is not "Alclad" but probably some high strength alloy was used for the flat panels and a more easily formed alloy for the formed pieces.
We had to break one hasp when we lost the key. I may be wrong about the Mitsubishi connection.
"CPO" = Central Purchasing Office, "GHQ" = General Headquarters, "FEC" = Far East Command.

Thank you very much for sharing so fantastic historical pictures again, manta :thumbright:
Aikoku looks like the Aikoku Industries Co Ltd (愛国工業株式会社) established in 1943 as a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. The company is now called "Aikoku Alpha Corporation" as a leading maker of factory equipments for Mitsubishi and others.

Thank you very much for sharing so fantastic historical pictures again, manta :thumbright:
Aikoku looks like the Aikoku Industries Co Ltd (愛国工業株式会社) established in 1943 as a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. The company is now called "Aikoku Alpha Corporation" as a leading maker of factory equipments for Mitsubishi and others.
Thank you so much, Shinpachi. You are a wealth of information! So the Mitsubishi connection is true!

What photographer Shunkichi Kikuchi(1916-1990) saw in color.

View attachment 689537View attachment 689538View attachment 689539View attachment 689540View attachment 689541View attachment 689542View attachment 689543
Source: The Japanese Army Wings of the Second World War (1972)

The photo of the pilot in his fur-lined flying suit reminded me that when I was 10 years old living in Grant Heights (Tokyo) I bought a brand new suit like that from a small shop along one of the small side streets in Tokyo. The suit was a sort of canvas material with rabbit fur lining and electrical wire heating. I think I paid maybe 500 Yen for it. (360 Y per 1$ in those days).

Thanks for sharing an interesting story, manta :)
500 yen at the time would be about 100 dollars today, which was a good buy for sure.
Your story reminds me of this "Ameyoko" side street beside the Ueno Station. This was famous for such military surplus when I was a kid. The narrow and crowded alley is same as old times.

Ameyoko in 1949
Ameyoko_1949.jpg

Source: 戦後70年を写真と映像でふりかえる|ビジュアル年表 :朝日新聞デジタル

Today
Ameyoko_Now.jpg

This Nakata Co (中田商店) is one of the oldest ones there
Ameyoko_Nakata_Co.jpg

Source: ミリタリーショップ 革ジャン 中田商店

Users who are viewing this thread

Back