Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I know the twin-lens reflex cameras as well as Leica-type ones were popular in the postwar Japan but did not know so much as these pictures.
Nationwide scenes on a day dated November 3, 1955.

At the photography event in Sendai for Keiko Takahashi - Japanese representative for Miss Universe in 1955.
This girl is not Keiko.
12.jpg

This is Keiko Takahashi.
14.jpg

Event in Tokyo with unknown models
31.jpg

In Shiga, near Kyoto
32.jpg

In Osaka
33.jpg

Source: Photo Record of November 3 (1956)

This is my TLR camera built by former Nakajima Aircraft's Musashi Plant in 1950
MALCAFLEX.jpg

I know the twin-lens reflex cameras as well as Leica-type ones were popular in the postwar Japan but did not know so much as these pictures.
Nationwide scenes on a day dated November 3, 1955.

At the photography event in Sendai for Keiko Takahashi - Japanese representative for Miss Universe in 1955.
This girl is not Keiko.
View attachment 690547

This is Keiko Takahashi.
View attachment 690548

Event in Tokyo with unknown models
View attachment 690549

In Shiga, near Kyoto
View attachment 690550

In Osaka
View attachment 690551

This is my TLR camera built by former Nakajima Aircraft's Musashi Plant in 1950
View attachment 690552
Interesting. I have a Canon IIB that we brought back from Tokyo in 1950. This was when Canon was still copying the Leica 35 mm cameras. Also have an all aluminum riveted aluminum trunk that was made by Mitsubishi, I think.

Interesting. I have a Canon IIB that we brought back from Tokyo in 1950. This was when Canon was still copying the Leica 35 mm cameras. Also have an all aluminum riveted aluminum trunk that was made by Mitsubishi, I think.
Thanks for sharing an interesting story, manta.
I believe Canon IIB is still good one but I did not know Mitsubishi built such aluminum trunks :shock:

Keiko Takahashi at Miss Universe 1955
Miss_Universe_1955.jpeg
Miss_Universe_1955_.jpeg

Source: KJCLUB - Missユニバース世界大会 日本2回優勝

Another scene on the day of November 3, 1955.
Aged veterans of the Sino-Japanese War and the Russo-Japanese War visit the imperial mausoleum for Emperor Meiji, Hirohito's grandfather, in Kyoto. They look indifferent to the modern Japan.

57.jpg
58.jpg

Shinpachi, Thank you for the information on the camera. Here is a photo that was taken with it in 1949.

At the end of the war there were remaining stocks of raw material such as sheet aluminum so it was used to build items for sale so that income could be generated for their workers. I will take a photo of that trunk and post it.

Attachments

• 0002_5 Mt Fuji Across Lake Kawaguchi '49.jpg
    0002_5 Mt Fuji Across Lake Kawaguchi '49.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
That's a stunning photo, Manta!
Thank you, nuuuman. There are 2 classic views of Mt. Fuji- one across Lake Hakone and the other across Lake Kawaguchi (this is the latter.

Living in Japan right after the war was a unique experience; when my Dad told us that we would be moving to Japan in 1947 and that we would have 2 maids and a cook, I asked "Won't they poison us?"; I was 9 years old. Quite the contrary, the Japanese people were quite respectful and curious about just who were these people who had defeated them. Japan had been isolated for centuries and this had fostered an attitude of arrogance and an attitude of racial superiority in their population. Once this faded away, the Japanese people assumed a very friendly attitude and I admired their character. We returned to the US in 1950, leaving behind quite a few close Japanese friends who we kept in contact with for 50 years.

I have a whole box of slides from the time we lived there that I may post on Facebook later this week.

Thank you, nuuuman. There are 2 classic views of Mt. Fuji- one across Lake Hakone and the other across Lake Kawaguchi (this is the latter.

Living in Japan right after the war was a unique experience; when my Dad told us that we would be moving to Japan in 1947 and that we would have 2 maids and a cook, I asked "Won't they poison us?"; I was 9 years old. Quite the contrary, the Japanese people were quite respectful and curious about just who were these people who had defeated them. Japan had been isolated for centuries and this had fostered an attitude of arrogance and an attitude of racial superiority in their population. Once this faded away, the Japanese people assumed a very friendly attitude and I admired their character. We returned to the US in 1950, leaving behind quite a few close Japanese friends who we kept in contact with for 50 years.

I have a whole box of slides from the time we lived there that I may post on Facebook later this week.

Feel free top post any photos of your experiences here, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would enjoy seeing them. :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back