Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is interesting information, Shinpachi- thank you. I will continue to look for that letter. Regards, Neil

I was surprised to see that in one of my later Fujifilm digital cameras, the manual stated that the information on how to set the clock was not in the manual! I guess you have to put that CD into your computer and look it up there. As a result I have a number of photos that are marked that they were taken in 2044.

At least the Fujifilm S series have both a viewfinder and a display screen on the back. Many smaller digital cameras do not have a viewfinder, and trying to take pictures out of the cockpit of an airplane with a camera like that brings to mind that old recommendation to not try it without first leaving a suicide note on the ground.

Yes that looks perfectly safe what could possibly go wrong. A Japanese Type 89 tank during the attack on Nanjing.

View attachment 461298
A real tactical dilemma:
We don't know if the bridge will take the tank. But if we send the tank over first, the bridge might collapse and we'll lose the tank, and the infantry may not cross at all.
However:
If we send the infantry over first and the tank collapses the bridge, we still lost the tank AND our infantry is deprived of armor.
"Send a message back to HQ saying we are Assessing the Situation.

I still have my Pentax and wish film and developing would make a come back.
I still have my old SLR 35mm camera's and miss the wait for films and slides to be processed, everything is instant gratification now. No more waiting on the post in anticipation to see if the slides were crap or not. Developing your own photos had a very deep satisfaction as the image appeared and was manipulated because you did it, bloody digital and photo shop !. There was also the pleasure of bulk buying film and loading your own cassets to go to Fairford or Duxford etc.

It was a different time and a different experience with film. I developed and printed my own pictures when I was a Sophomore in Heidelberg American High School. In the spring of 1955 our French II class took a field trip to Paris for almost a week. Here is one of my pictures that I processed from 35mm B&W film.

Attachments

• Notre Dame.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 33
I got my Yashica FX-2 in 1976 and started figuring out how to use it. One day we had a requirement to take some pictures of a bleed air duct installation on a TF-30. I did not have my camera with me so I borrowed an SLR from our tech lab. The shots had to be taken inside, in a rather dimly lit hangar and the situation was complicated by the fact that the tech lab SLR did not have a built-in meter and I had to use the separate hand held one, which I had never even seen before. So I shot a whole roll of film and varied the shots between trying to read the meter and then guessing at what the settings would have been for my FX-2. When I got back to the tech lab I removed the film from the camera and then two guys from the lab rushed up and said they needed the camera for some shots.

A week later the tech lab told me the prints were ready. I was astonished to find that the shots all looked quite good, despite my varying the settings. Then the two tech lab guys grabbed my shots, saying, "Ha! That's right! You also used the camera that day we did! Let's see them!" Then their faces fell when they saw the quality of the shots. They no doubt knew far more about photography than I did. But none of theirs turned out well; they had blamed the camera.

Now I know less about photography than I did then. I just point one of the Fujifilm S series at something and hope I get at least one decent picture.

My fellow aviation enthusiast and photographer used the Nikon F he bought in 1959 or 60 while he was stationed in Japan. When we were at airshows later in the U.S. he would brag to me about he had the best in the world. If I pointed out the Leica quality, he would add "the best I can afford". I used canon A-1, AE-1 and when we compared shots of the same planes, I could always get him in an argument about which was best. Although Kodak film is gone, Fuji has a full range of film. My Kodak yellow blood keeps me from going back to film to experiment. Today, my Canon EOS T2i does me for digital.

Leica is "too" expensive in my opinion.
When I visited Minolta's plant in my town 40 years ago, the factory manager showed me a set of Leica R4. "Why is Leica here?" "This was developed based on our Minolta XD. So, we honorably manufacture R4 for Leica here." Price difference between the R4 and the XD was almost ten times. I stopped worshipping brand names since then

My wife still shoots some film, and develops her own black & White, but sends the color out for processing. She usually only gets it developed with a contact sheet to show small images of the roll all on one page. Then she scans the negatives to print her own copies of what she wants.

She has quite a collection of old US, Japanese, and Soviet era cameras, most in working order. It is one of the things we hunt for while on vacation. Her latest prize find is a Fuji TX-1 35mm Panoramic Camera. Interesting how members other hobbies intersect!

Most of my pictures were taken with a Canon IIB. This was purchased in the Tokyo PX in 1948 and used by my parents to take Kodachrome color slides when we lived in Japan and Germany. Later the camera was given to me and I used it with mostly Kodak Plus-X and Tri-X black & white 35 mm film. My last 35 mm film camera was a Nikon EM which I liked. I currently have a Sony DSC-828 which fulfills my needs very well.

Attachments

• Japanese Farm Girl in Corn Field.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread