Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have learned much as well. Jan has gotten me in interested in jets and helicopters, something I never really looked into.

Some of you have a lot more confidence in the accuracy of the "official records" kept by combatants than I do.

I, myself, on orders, was in on a scheme to falsify records just so our inventory ( munitions) reflected what we actually had.
Me and 2 other enlisted men worked a frantic about 40 hours to make fake documents that would back up the actual inventory of what we had.

I've often wondered who would have been charged if the fraud have been discovered .

Another unit in Germany at about the same time somehow ended up with a Hawk missile and trailer that they had no paperwork for.
Their solution was to bury it, literally .
The secret, didn't stay secret, and a few officers went to Leavenworth stockade for a few years.
This event I was envolved in occured in the early 70's , so I guess I'm safe now.

But to me "official military records" is a contradiction in terms.

US official records for the early Pacific war are often wrong. There were so many changes to aircraft movements in the first 3 months or more that were never reflected in records that it makes it difficult to track actual movements. Many aircraft shown as shipped to Britain ended up in Aus or NZ or Russia or where ever, including the USAAF. I can understand this as lots of trains and ships were re-routed at the last minute and there was a massive influx of new people who were, at first, semi trained.

RAAF records for the whole war are best summed up by RAAF Air Commodore Rex Taylor.

Attachments

• RAAF records accuracy Air Cdr Taylor.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 8
Nakajima E8N1 with IJN Soryu and IJN Ryujo JIKI
Nakajima E8N1 with IJN Soryu and IJN Ryujo.png

IJA 14th Army for the 16th division gave up attack against Bataan on February 8, 1942. Commander was dismissed immediately.
Awaiting reinforcements by 4th division and 22nd flight group from China front, Japanese troops in Philippine had nothing to do for almost two months.

4th division challenges Bataan on April 3, 1942,
Bataan_Jan-Apr_1942c.JPG
Bataan_Jan-Apr_1942d.JPG
Bataan_Jan-Apr_1942e.jpg

Source: History of Showa-era (一億人の昭和史・日本の戦史 8・太平洋戦争 2)(Dec.1978)

Bataan falls on April 9, 1942.
As it was impossible for the Japanese to feed 75,000 surrenderers so soon, they liberated 15,000 Filipino soldiers who wanted to go home immediately. Rest 60,000 were to walk to the station nearby which was 60km(40miles) apart.

Bataan_Jan-Apr_1942f.JPG
Bataan_Jan-Apr_1942g.JPG
Bataan_Jan-Apr_1942h.JPG

Source: History of Showa-era (一億人の昭和史・日本の戦史 8・太平洋戦争 2)(Dec.1978)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back