Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nakajima B5N1 type 97 model 1 'AI-308' IJN Akagi May 1941 AGAAI
Nakajima B5N1 type 97 model 1 'AI-308' IJN Akagi May 1941 AGAAI.png

Unexpected bloodshed in Bataan.

After occupation of Manila in early January 1942, Imperial GHQ ordered 48th division and 5th flight group to shift toward DEI immediately as they thought that Philippine campaign was almost over. They estimated the number of Joint U.S.-Filipino Army retreated into Bataan would be around 20,000 at most. Two battalions of the 16th division and the 65th brigade were ordered to wipe out the enemies in Bataan but they were to face deadly battle with invisible 80,000 in the jungle.

Bataan_Jan-Apr_1942a.JPG
Bataan_Jan-Apr_1942b.JPG

Source: History of Showa-era (一億人の昭和史・日本の戦史 8・太平洋戦争 2)(Dec.1978)

No it isnt, there are an awfull lot of magazines that carried these kind of reportages.
This is i think a wire picture, a fax avant le lettre.
The real negs of some survived and come to eBay now and again.

Interesting fact on fax machines. Jules Verne had them as a common household feature in one of his books, Paris in the Twentieth Century, written in 1863.

The reason he wrote about them was that they had already been invented and were in use at the time he wrote the book. British patent 9745 on May 27, 1843 being the first fax.

Needless to say they had many names before being commonly called faxes and all those "pictures by wire" that were common in newspapers from the 1920s to 1970's were faxes.

Jiminy! You're right! I totally missed the B-23. I was distracted looking for the B-17s. I'm having trouble making out fine details. I was looking for the pimple on the nose.
The B-15 is on the right, right?
Correct it is the bigger plane behind the last B-17 on the right. I think it is a great picture, showing what we would have had available in 1939/1940.

Some of you have a lot more confidence in the accuracy of the "official records" kept by combatants than I do.

I, myself, on orders, was in on a scheme to falsify records just so our inventory ( munitions) reflected what we actually had.
Me and 2 other enlisted men worked a frantic about 40 hours to make fake documents that would back up the actual inventory of what we had.

I've often wondered who would have been charged if the fraud have been discovered .

Another unit in Germany at about the same time somehow ended up with a Hawk missile and trailer that they had no paperwork for.
Their solution was to bury it, literally .
The secret, didn't stay secret, and a few officers went to Leavenworth stockade for a few years.
This event I was envolved in occured in the early 70's , so I guess I'm safe now.

But to me "official military records" is a contradiction in terms.

Some of you have a lot more confidence in the accuracy of the "official records" kept by combatants than I do.

I, myself, on orders, was in on a scheme to falsify records just so our inventory ( munitions) reflected what we actually had.
Me and 2 other enlisted men worked a frantic about 40 hours to make fake documents that would back up the actual inventory of what we had.

I've often wondered who would have been charged if the fraud have been discovered .

Another unit in Germany at about the same time somehow ended up with a Hawk missile and trailer that they had no paperwork for.
Their solution was to bury it, literally .
The secret, didn't stay secret, and a few officers went to Leavenworth stockade for a few years.
This event I was envolved in occured in the early 70's , so I guess I'm safe now.

But to me "official military records" is a contradiction in terms.
I think first person accounts, like yours, carry more weight than official archival information. These events all happened long ago and we really don't have much else on which to base our understanding of the events. We all want to relate and portray events as accurately as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back