Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T-34_1941_.jpeg

I am currently reading "Breakout From Juno - First Canadian Army in Normandy", Mark Zuehlke.
Time to put my learning from the Eastern Front campaigns to the test ... to better understand what the Canadian troops faced. They faced primarily the Waffen SS 12 Division Hitler Youth, supported by First SS Panzer grenadiers and a Heer division that had been rebuilt after severe mauling in Russia, winter 1943.
What the Canadians learned the hard way was what the Germans used so effectively against the Russians ... and, albeit in smaller numbers, Canadians paid. They fought extremely well but, IMHO, paid the price for 'by-the-book' senior command that was overly political.
The Hitler Youth were not seasoned Russia vets ... but their officers and senior NCO's were ... and they were fierce and vicious .... and healthy.
The low point for the Canadian First was Operation Spring (a holding operation to fix German resources while General Bradley broke out from Saint Lo in a right hook, Operation Cobra). It's shame was lack of intelligence, unimaginative senior command and misfortune, culminating in the destruction of the Canadian Black Watch Regiment on Verriers Ridge.

A short, well-made tribute to the Canadians and British tankers who participated in Operation Spring ... great B&W shots:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7V8HjnaKms

Last edited:
Great pics.
Re Post #782 - the 'hand rail' is in fact one of the towing hawsers on the Tiger, attached to the front shackle, ready for use, with the remaining cable laid along the hull top, near its original stowage position.
As the Tiger often broke down (or got stuck), it became the norm to have the towing hawsers (one on each side) attached ready for use.
Not the best photo example, but on my 1/16th scale model, the towing hawsers can be seen on the hull top, with the 'lighter' cable on the side of the hull being used for track changes.

Tiger mods 214.JPG
Tiger mods 196.JPG

.... thanks for that :)

I've always liked the Tiger but recent reading, "Tigers in the Mud" (Otto Carius) and "Breakout Coursund Pocket - January, 1944" have made me greatly appreciate what a beautifully-engineered war machine the Tiger is.

Too-sophisticated ....? But the recovery crews and maintenance wizards sure didn't think so.
Should have been diesel? .... for sure.
Weakest point .... engine radiators ... just like Spitfires :)
Fuel economy - not bad on hard roads but the mud of rasputitsa season put fuel consumption through the roof ... in one case at the Pocket the freak February thaw had the Tigers in serious mud ... and they moved only 8 kms on a full tank .... there's no remedy for that as every ATV/4WDer knows. :)

As defense blocking points, strategically situated on high ground, they were devastating to swarms of Shermans and T-34s ... Russians, Canadians, Brits and Americans alike.

But, I have come to understand that tanks need protective infantry, panzer grenadiers, as much as infantry needs supportive tanks ... combined arms. Zhukov learned that lesson well ... the costly way, at Nomonhan. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back