Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Putin's Grand Master, Stalin, was the unequalled exploiter of 'distractions', using them to achieve his goals .... today Korea, Muslim immigration, Syria, Donald Trump are all ideal cover for Mr. P.
Those in the USA that are 'protesting' Trump right now are playing right into P's hands. I say this not because I like The Donald especially, :), but because he was democratically elected ... and the US has survived worse political stews .... :): Thomas Jefferson and Chief Justice Marshall, The Alien and Sedition Act (President Adams), Andrew Jackson's Spoils System Populism, and indeed FDR's "New Deal".
For all our fears, China is far more straight forward today, and historically, than Russia, IMHO.

Last edited:
Sorry Michael, my friend, but I believe you crossed the line with:

"Those in the USA that are 'protesting' Trumpright now are playing right into P's hands."

Really? So the majority of the country who did not vote for him are to just sit on their hands for 4 years at the minimum? If that is the case, then welcome to the United States of Dumb. Mods, please get this political crap out of here.

Absolutely terrific film, Shin. Thank you.

Sorge, and the Japanese and German Embassy staff that supported and covered him, truly made a difference in the world .... there is no denying that. I am very suspicious of communism, as you know ... it is not peaceful, nor in mankind's best interests. But ... Nazi Germany could not have been defeated, except by the atomic bomb, without Stalin's victory at Moscow ... and that depended on confidently releasing Russian forces in the East to Moscow. And that was Sorge.

I love the fact that the film reaches past the Cold War .... it is wonderfully filmed, acted, conceived and directed.

A must watch.

".... I believe you crossed the line "

What line, Captain? Review the history of your government and your presidencies and their administrations. I believe I listed historical events non politically.

Are you seeking the overthrow of the democratically administration? Do you think you can do that constitutionally?

The last time I looked, California and New York states were not the political majority of the U.S.A.

If you can't see what is going on, Captain, then take another look. This is not partisan politics.

Trump lost the popular vote. - Fact (Not alternate fact)

This and the subsequent actions of his administration have energized some people to protest the current adminiatration.

Buy saying "Those in the USA that are 'protesting' Trump right now are playing right into P's hands.", it sounds like you don't understand our rights as Americans (and other democracies). With your way of thinking we would still be fighting the Vietnam War because no one complained. Weird how you could not see this.

Last edited:
G'day Michael.

And that was Sorge.

And Bletchley Park?

Sorry for the quality of the scan - but I'm a lousy typist - it's so much easier.
It's from Hasting's book "The Secret War" which doesn't paint a brilliant picture of Sorge.

Stalin called him a "lying shit" - but Stalin didn't believe anyone.

img018.jpg

" ... And Bletchley Park?"
Stalin certainly got the Barbarossa details from Britain as well as Sorge ... he chose not to believe that report either :)

".."The Secret War" which doesn't paint a brilliant picture of Sorge."
Shin's film is a very indulent portrait of Sorge ... those who knew him causally (non Communists) thought he was a womanizer, a drunk, and a shit.

Last edited:
We are a Federal Republic not a Democracy, hence the popular vote (thankfully) does not and never has determined the outcome of the election. If it did, basically 3 states would elect every president. I am no fan of Trump, but the popular vote is not the reason people are protesting, it is the fact they are very unhappy with whom was elected and the media trots out things like the popular vote at times like this. None the less I agree with Capt Vick

This and the subsequent actions of his administration have energized some peiple to protest the current adminiatration.

As Americans it is as much our right as it is our duty to protest when we feel strongly about something. I say more power to them, just wish the press would stay focused on the actual issues instead of trying to press their agenda. Soapbox mode off.

Red = Republican (state/county outcome) 2016
Blue = Democrat (state/county outcome) 2016View attachment 368296 View attachment 368298

That is a very pretty map. Not sure why you posted it, but...thanks?

Any how, I can't seem to follow your train of thought. For all I know we may be thinking the same thing? My views go with whomever most zealously protects the environment, so I guess that makes me left leaning? I assume your views tend to the right? Are there right wing Canadians? You guys seem so smart, kind and progressive.

Sorry everyone if I may have thrown a wrong ball.
I believe the relationship between the U.S. and Canada is much better than that between Japan and its neighbors.
Take my apology.

I will watch the movie this evening, MM.
Thanks for sharing !

I guess it goes back to fundamentals. When you join the service, as a volunteer not a drafty, the old saying is you write a blank check payable up to and including your life to protect what you believe in. I believe in anyones right to protest. I may not, and in this case do not, agree with them, but I will fight like crazy to make sure they have that right and ability. It makes me really sad and angry when someone burns or mistreats the flag but I fear what removing that right would result in. It is the slippery slope argument. Sounds good at first, then the unintended consequences kick in.

Hey I don't pretend to have any answers other than stay involved and stay calm. Have a whiskey or two or three, and above all else respect your fellow man even when you don't agree with them. Kind of like we do here about paints! :mrgreen:

But trying to move things back towards topic I offer the following! Here are some of those easter eggs about to be deployed!

easter eggs (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back