Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One thing I can say is that Stalin needed not only territorial expansion but as many as 600,000 Japanese soldiers as free laborers in Siberia to reconstruct Soviet's economy. A Japanese civilian who used to work in the logistics of Kwantung Army testifies "We did not understand that there were few foods in Siberia until Russians urged us to send food for our soldiers immediately after they had abducted them away. Stalin was in a hurry."

As a sequel to this event, Russian President Boris Yeltsin formerly apologized in 1993 when he visited Japan.

Last edited:
Japanese POW in Siberia.
Labor and education. Little time for sorrow.

1863835_original.jpg
sooruzhenie_yaponskimi_voennoplennymi_mosta.jpg
yaponskie_voennoplennye_na_stroit._zhel._dor.jpg
1472733462_04f8d6740a481a5c4b2f086844e3b8e6.jpg
1472733475_c584be5f302a85346598ce4d48a3e6d9.jpg
1472733525_dc3129924c243742c667fb4e03df86dd.jpg

... and let's not forget the Japanese slaves enlisted as POWs after Nomonham, 1939 .... they were already broken in harness when the 1945 cohort arrived

I remember that a Nomonhan POW was my first common topic with you, MM.
Thanks.

I am reading a book which collected Japanese testimonies as POWs in the Battle of Guadalcanal.
What interests me is that they came home after the war was over but was obliged to give up joining the reunion of their old regiment because it was a reunion for the "honorable" POWs who fought the war to the end.

I cannot help thinking about our own unique mentality for the honor and the dishonor.
Conclusively, the "dishonorable" POWs were to organize their own reunion on the other day.
So might it have been in Siberia.

"Лагерь (Lager = camp)", "домой (domoy = home)"
These two Russian words were famous when I was a kid.

Survivors said "Russian guards used this 'domoy' often to encourage us when we were tired. The harder you work, the sooner you can come home !"

Labour_camp_01.jpg
Labour_camp_02.jpg
Labour_camp_03.jpg
Labour_camp_04.jpg
Labour_camp_05.jpg
Labour_camp_06.jpg

Last photo in Post #1308

Strange looking uniform coat on person on the left.

Is it military?

I wonder if any of them came back to Japan as committed communists.

Stalin sent back 500,000 re-educated Japanese by 1952.
10% and more participated in the Japanese Communist Party immediately and the equivalent did in the Social Democratic Party of Japan.
Less than 80% stayed nonpolitical or were originally the nationalists.

The Japanese Communist Party is now a great asset and insurance for the Japanese future as it can cope with not only Russia but China and NK anytime as comrades.

Gift of Stalin
Gift_of_Stalin_01.jpg
Gift_of_Stalin_02.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Shin. It does look gaudy.:)

Why you say Yakuza?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back