Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gents.
Elizabeth Sanders Home circa 1954.

E382B5E383B3E38380E383BCE382B9E3839BE383BCE383A01-bc394.jpg

Steve Yoshiaki Flaherty (1947-1969)
Steve Yoshiaki Flaherty(1947-1969).jpg

In March of 1969, in the steaming, battle-scarred jungle of the A Shau Valley in central Vietnam, a young Japanese-American paratrooper from Columbia, a star athlete at Dentsville High School, penned four letters to friends and relatives.

Sgt. Steve Flaherty, who had been adopted by a Columbia couple and brought to the United States from an orphanage in Japan when he was 10, was killed, likely by a mortar shell, shortly after he wrote them.

The letters were taken from the young paratrooper's body by a North Vietnamese soldier. More than four decades later, in 2012, they were delivered to the family after they had been presented to then-U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta. They were the first artifacts from the bloody and controversial war to be exchanged between the two nations.
(omitted)
Flaherty was born on Jan. 11, 1947, to an unknown American soldier and a Japanese mother during the U.S. occupation of the devastated island nation after World War II.

His mother, Tsugie Ushiroda, who is referred to in a Japanese documentary as a dancer, tried to raise him alone but wasn't able to support him. When the boy, then named Yoshiaki Ushiroda, was four years old, Tsugie gave him up to the Elizabeth Saunders Home, an orphanage in Osaka for unwanted mixed-race children, often products of rape or prostitution, who were generally held in contempt by the Japanese population.

Full text
Rescued, he gave his all in Vietnam

Thanks guys :salute:

So, the BCOF kept staying as BCFK (British Commonwealth Forces Korea) which was mainly led by Australian troops in Hiroshima and its neighboring prefectures even after the Treaty of Peace with Japan was signed in 1951. Substantial occupation in the region was not over until the end of 1956 when it brought down the flag.

Hiroshima_1956_01.JPG
Hiroshima_1956_02.JPG
Hiroshima_1956_03.JPG
Hiroshima_1956_04.JPG

Junji Nakagawa (1947- )
Junji Nakagawa (1947- ).jpg

With no foster parents, he and his 8 friends of the Elizabeth Sanders Home immigrated to Brazil in 1965.
His life is said introduced in a TV documentary 5 years ago and his son now lives in Japan but no more info at the moment.
I'm glad he looks fine anyway.

When I was at Yamada Camp on Kyushu, in 1966-67, we supported a local orphanage.

I sometimes drove the truck that took various supplies and such to them.

I noticed a lot of the young children had obvious non-oriental faces, or hair.
A sad legacy of the US occupation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back