Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cats patrolling for downed aircraft off the California coast (1940s). Why they call it a CATalina?
cat.jpg

B-17G 44-8191 of the 2nd Bomb Group 15th AF

Delivered Dallas 5/7/44; Langley 28/7/44; Grenier 12/9/44; Assigned 429BS/2BG PFF Amendola 15/9/44; Missing in Action Ruhland 22/3/45 with Pilot Andrew F. Crane; Co-pilot: Paul M. Honke (2POW both strafed on way down); Navigator: George W. Betchley; Bombardier: James S. Barnett; Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Donald A. Dorman; Radio Operator: Daniel P. Dunkerley, m/op Donald F. Maine; Right Waist gunner: Robert A. Keuchel; Left Waist gunner: Rae G. DeMatteis; Tail gunner: Stephen J. Fatur (8 Killed in Action); flak, two engines out, crashed Linz; Missing Air Crew Report 13248.
After liberation from a POW camp in Germany Capt. Andrew F. Crane stated : "We left the formation just after dropping bombs on the target. We flew eight miles to 10 miles N. of Breslau then bailed out. I personally saw five chutes, and other crew members bailed out five minutes previously. Dorman, Betchley, Barnett, Honke, and myself bailed out after other crew members had bailed out a few minutes before. No members were in the plane when it crashed as far as I know. Saw bombardier, navigator, co-pilot and engineer jump. Others were informed to jump three minutes before we jumped. Germans couldn't find any in the aircraft and asked me if I knew their whereabouts.
I saw none of the crew on the ground or anywhere except five descending chutes. My co-pilot and I found each other at German Headquarters. Both he and I were strafed in our chutes by Me-109s. I heard gunfire continually and assume other crew members were killed by strafing or in attempting to make the Russian lines.
At German Headquarters I saw a picture of Betchley (escape picture which we all carried) and dog tags of Dorman and Dunkerley. I saw Dorman and Betchley bail out. As I see it, they were definite victims of strafing. The co-pilot was strafed four times. He oscillated his chute and managed to only sustain a grazing from a machine gun bullet. I was strafed twice."

B-17_2nd_Bomb_Group_15th_AF.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Left to right: Bob Chaffe, Bob Cosgrove, Harry Goodwin, Jerry Crumley, Charlie Hurd, Walt Harper. All pilots in Torpedo Squadron Fifteen (VT-15). Taken early November 1944 after an awards ceremony, shortly before the air group left USS Essex (CV-9). Chaffe, Cosgrove, Goodwin and Crumley were eventually awarded Navy Crosses for action during the Battle of Leyte Gulf, 24–25 October 1944.

020992.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back