Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was just thinking that, with all those aircraft crowded together (even allowing for 'compression' from the lens used for the photo), and all those spinning props.
And having watched that video, elsewhere on the forum, showing WW2 carrier launches, I wonder how many fingers were lost, or wrists broken, when attaching the strops and hold-back ?

Is that Jan with the hands up? I'm asking because I don't believe Jan could give up the work due to the crowded deck.

Last edited:
120 to 136 Benedict St Bootle destroyed on the night of 21st December 1940 during the the Liverpool Christmas Blitz of 20th to 23rd December 1940. My Grandmother lived directly opposite at no 121 or 127 (no one is completely sure) and came home from the shelter to find every window pane, the front door and half of the roof slates missing. The downstairs windows were boarded up by my Uncle using Tea and Sugar crates from the Bootle Docks and the family lived on the ground floor till the roof was fixed in 1947.

Google earth link showing the same view today

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.442744,-2.982218,3a,75y,192.05h,83.12t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sNMt8WS6rLx7Vuheh7u98CQ!2e0

Good one. Looks like the damaged houses were demolished and replaced in the 1960's. I wonder how many of the current residents realise why their 'new' houses look different to the rest of the street.

Every other street in the Bootle, Kirkdale, Vauxhall and Goodison areas has a short stretch of newer houses. Around Benedict St which is not far from Canada Dock every street has a newer section, driving round you realise just how many bombs were dropped and how hard a relatively long but narrow dock estate was to hit.

My Gran moved further down Benedict St in the late 50s and I can remember visiting in the 60s and there were still buildings propped up with timbers and burnt out shells of factories. Great fun to be had playing on the Bombsites, modern Health and Safety concious parents would have kittens at what we used to get up to

Yes, I had a couple of friends in Bootle, and the damaged areas were quite prevalent. I used to get to Liverpool on business virtually every week in the 1980's and early 90's. As you'll know, areas around the Dock Road still showed obvious signs of bomb damage even then.

Although the caption says it was taken in Normandy it is the same, overturned Tiger tank I had posted in the #2135 methinks. But this time it's a colour shot.

Users who are viewing this thread