Picture of the day. (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wonder if both of those steering wheels were hooked up ?
Some driver's ed car had two steering wheels, late 50's early 60's.
I think they quit using them because they had several problems when the student was stronger than the teacher.
I remember the driver's ed cars at my school were a conventional car, but had an extra brake pedal on the passenger side so the teacher could put a stop to things before it was too late (hopefully).

While I was away in the USAF, one of the things I missed was, the guys rigged Don's 1948 Dodge sedan with dual steering wheels. Using bicycle sprockets, chain and a pipe clamped under the glove box, "little" Jerry Walker could slide down in the passenger seat and steer while the driver leaned out the driver's window to "spook" the chicks in the other lane.

I remember the driver's ed cars at my school were a conventional car, but had an extra brake pedal on the passenger side so the teacher could put a stop to things before it was too late (hopefully).

That is how Fahrschule (driving school) cars in Germany are. A place with real structured driving schools where people actually are required to learn to drive rather than just have their parents (who also never learned to drive) pass on their bad habits to them.

It was a class in my high school (back then most high schools had "Driver's Ed" as an elective class). We were taught how to drive. In fact one car had a manual transmission and we had to learn how to get a car going on a steep hill.

It was a class in my high school (back then most high schools had "Driver's Ed" as an elective class). We were taught how to drive. In fact one car had a manual transmission and we had to learn how to get a car going on a steep hill.

They need to bring back structured drivers training because the drivers here are terrible. They don't understand the basic concepts except gas = go.

The drivers training I had to go through was two parts. The first was 2 months of theoretical classroom work (minimum14 classes, each 90 minutes long) followed by a 30 question written test. Interestingly, US soldiers and their families must pass an English version of this test to drive when stationed there, and it has a 45% first time failure rate when they take it despite it being basic driving theory and knowledge.

Then you have the practical drivers training that is structured so as to provide practical experience in various driving conditions including (among other things):

City Driving
Rural Driving
Autobahn Driving
Day Driving
Night Driving
Inclement Weather Driving
Parallel Parking
Defensive Driving Techniques

This is them followed by an extensive driving test where you must demonstrate actual competency. I think mine was almost an hour long from start to finish.

Plus you get to learn in some pretty cool cars. My training and test was in a brand new manual stick shift BMW 5 series.

I did a defensive driving training program that included braking on skid pans with dry surface, thin water, water deep enough to hyrdoplane on, leaves, loose gravel, sand and a couple of other surfaces. Very illuminating.

Another part of the program included braking on a straight stretch of road when the drive instructor pressed the bell button. When the bell rang (once) a piece of chalk was ejected onto the ground. When you actually hit the brakes fired another chalk out and when the vehicle stopped fired the last so you got a true visual of your reaction distance and how far it takes to stop once you realise it is necessary. This was all long before ABS which is an aid, not a cure, for bad braking practices.

Interestingly - when I lived in Alberta the night time speed limit (40) was much slower than the day limit (50) which reflects the fact that your visual range is reduced at night. Do they still do that in Canada?

That sounds very similar to what we had to do as well.

Parallel parking, my old nemesis.

Strange, or not so strange, when I got an endorsement to drive fire trucks ( I had an old CDL which lapsed and I had to go through a beginner course)
they just used the standard CDL test, which included simulated backing into a loading dock and parallel parking.
The only time/s I ever parallel parked a fire truck was when we stopped for lunch
The disconnect between department policies and state licensing was that in most fire dept's at that time (2000?) you NEVER backed up a truck without a least one spotter behind you. Preferably with radio.

In 33 years we had one, repeat one, class on emergency braking which was done at under 15mph.
It was not even mandatory, whoever was on duty on the two days (and evenings) was who got the training. Sick or vacation that day? never got it.
Locking up the brakes on those trucks was a bit exciting even at low speed

Air brakes on trucks until they got ABS, trying to pump old dumb air brakes was a real problem. Skid and maybe stop or pump/steer and not stop in the same distance?

Yeah, your schooling sounds a lot like what I went through, except I think we had weekly tests and then there was the big one at the end of the semester.
Out here, these days, since they raised the national speed limit to 60 mph, people think it gives them license to drive at least 60 everywhere. On the freeway, on a two-lane road, in a parking lot, down your driveway, everywhere!
It's insane. I've never been tail gated so many times, for driving the posted speed limit, just because the posted speed limit wasn't 60.
Brand new Beemer as your Driver's Ed vehicle. Must be nice. We got '75 and '76 Ford Granada's. The manual tranny car had a 2.3L Pinto engine and 3 on the tree.

As long as we're off thread, once when my ex and first two daughters visited, I was told that first daughter was to receive her mom's pinto std shift when they returned to South Carolina.
Since daughter no.1 had only just begun driving in flat land Louisiana, she was concerned about driving in hill/mountain country. We went on a Sunday to a factory loading ramp for big rigs and she practiced driving up, hold on incline, start uphill with proper clutch. She later, back home in S.C., said she had no problem now on hills but still jerk started on flat land.
I learned to parallel park with full size American cars (1940s-50s) so the only problems came with smaller cars with different visual references. More revelations occurred with front wheel drive. They just don't skid the way the experts say front wheel drive is supposed to.

People don't understand braking distances and how if you have to brake for sone reason they will go right up your ass because there is no possible way to avoid it when you are only half a car distance behind me tailgating me.

I want to put a bumper sticker on my car that says "If you are going to ride my ass, at least pull my hair."

Then don't get me started on the zipper method. Nobody here comprehends the basic concept about everyone waiting until the merge point to merge, and that while traffic is indeed slower it is still the most efficient way to merge when two lanes become one. Instead they believe people are just trying to get ahead, so they try to prevent them from merging. Then you have the idiots who start merging 3 miles before the merge point forcing traffic to get even more slow and congested.

Turn signals? WTF are those?

All because people today are not actually taught to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread