Picture of the day. (27 Viewers)

This Kingfisher was among a batch returned to the US Navy from the Royal Navy in 1943 AIRH
View attachment 872857
I didn't know the Kingfisher was used by the RN. Why were they returned?
 
I didn't know the Kingfisher was used by the RN. Why were they returned?
I believe they were deployed to some Armed Merchant Cruisers and the light cruiser HMS Enterprise. Enterprise had her catapult removed in ....late '43? And all AMC's were converted to troopships, with most armament and aircraft removed. So I'm guessing the RN had no need of them
 
I recently watched a YT video that mentioned HMS Enterprise. She was present at the Normandy invasion in a squadron commanded by a USN captain. Captain Kirk.
I prefer it to be true so I didn't investigate further.
 
I recently watched a YT video that mentioned HMS Enterprise. She was present at the Normandy invasion in a squadron commanded by a USN captain. Captain Kirk.
I prefer it to be true so I didn't investigate further.
That's awesome. I wonder if he was an ancestor of USS Zumwalt's first CO: Captain James Kirk
 
The Fi 167 was designed as a torpedo bomber for Germany's projected aircraft carriers 1938 AIRH
The Fi 167 was designed as a torpedo bomber for Germany's projected aircraft carriers 1938 AIRH.png
 
The last production SB2U-1 was converted to the XSB2U-3 configuration and tested as a floatplane NAVY
The last production SB2U-1 was converted to the XSB2U-3 configuration and tested as a floatpla...png
 
Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat prototype in flight during the summer of 1940. Finish is the "Yellow Wings" scheme, overall aluminum with Orange Yellow wing INHG
Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat prototype in flight during the summer of 1940.  Finish is the “Yellow Wi...png
 
Lockheed Electra, W9104, of No. 24 Squadron RAF, taxying on an airfield in the United Kingdom, 26 March 1941. Formerly
G-AFEB of British Airways Ltd, this aircraft was impressed into the RAF and delivered to No. 24 Squadron on 18 December
1939. It was struck off charge after a landing accident at Clifton, Yorkshire, on 12 October 1941.

658358849_35182703717987336_4551907884578577577_n.jpg
 
B-17E Mac Mac serving as a transport with the 317th Troop Carrier Group, probably in New Guinea in 1943. She would crash
while attempting to land on Horn Island on 24 March 1944

tumblr_de76baf435b44f9f9e3aa9d29c1ac727_e60e6465_2048.jpg
 
I think I've already posted this photo in the closed thread "Girls and planes" (or whatever the correct name was). Does anybody know to what flying school does the B-25J belong? The alpha-numeric marking (T6 I guess, could be TC though) with letters/digits in two different rows was not very common.
d8c4f10c1b8049f78f7c255ecc8c69ae.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back