This one should appeal you (Loire 30 dubbed the flying washing machine).Call me weird (you wouldn't be the first .....), but I think it's kinda ..... cute
Pic : San Diego Air & Space Museum
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
This one should appeal you (Loire 30 dubbed the flying washing machine).Call me weird (you wouldn't be the first .....), but I think it's kinda ..... cute
Oh. My. God. Beyond hideous. Washing machines are infinitely more elegant ... and probably handle better......This one should appeal you (Loire 30 dubbed the flying washing machine).
View attachment 894205
Pic : San Diego Air & Space Museum
This is actually a picture of the Loire 301, it is the unsuccessful Loire 30 prototype modified by adding the front turret, and for weight an balance purposes the center engine was moved back and reversed into the pusher configuration seen here, it was still unsuccessful. Here is a picture of the Loire 30 in its original configuration.This one should appeal you (Loire 30 dubbed the flying washing machine).
View attachment 894205
Pic : San Diego Air & Space Museum
Greg, only a guess on my part, but as the plane was originally designed to meet a specification for a night reconnaissance plane, I would think they were mounted high to not restrict the observers view? Here is a drawing of the original design. Also with 3 engines it would eithet have to have a nose mounted engine, of the center engine would have to be elevated, so you may as well mount them all up there?What was the engineering rationale for mounting the engines way up there?
Does the position of the F4F-3 indicates a MG firing test ?Grumman F4F 3 Wildcat VF-6 Black F20 aboard CV 6 USS Enterprise 1942 the net
View attachment 894272
I think you might be seeing double? Or am I only seeing half the flight?Group of six P2Y-l flying boats 1934 the net
View attachment 894273
What was the engineering rationale for mounting the engines way up there?
As long as engines position is concerned, this one is my favorite (the handsome Farman F4X / F120 Jabiru, first french monoplane airliner).I do not know but is was the in thing for a time. The Dornier flying boats I can understand as putting the props out of reach of any water spray but several other non water aircraft also had that arrangement.
Live long and prosper.HAPPY NATIONAL STAR TREK DAY!
James "Scotty" Doohan flew these in WW2 and was wounded on 6 June 1944, losing part of one of his fingers.
View attachment 894397
F2A-3sUSS Lexington (CV-2) leaving San Diego October 1941. Planes parked on her flight deck include F2A-1 fighters the net
View attachment 894506
as good a guess as any. I have seen that look IRL.To my eyes it looks like it ground looped at low speed with the engine not running, you can see were the landing gear dug into the soft ground. So I think it was a gear down emergency landing attempted that ended up with sheered gear after the ground loop.
But that is just a guess on my part.
Due to his wounds I am not sure he could make the Vulcan Salute.Live long and prosper.