Picture of the day. (26 Viewers)

Call me weird (you wouldn't be the first .....), but I think it's kinda ..... cute
This one should appeal you (Loire 30 dubbed the flying washing machine).

1788803030682.png


Pic : San Diego Air & Space Museum
 
This one should appeal you (Loire 30 dubbed the flying washing machine).

View attachment 894205

Pic : San Diego Air & Space Museum
This is actually a picture of the Loire 301, it is the unsuccessful Loire 30 prototype modified by adding the front turret, and for weight an balance purposes the center engine was moved back and reversed into the pusher configuration seen here, it was still unsuccessful. Here is a picture of the Loire 30 in its original configuration.
1788808146819.png

Source C'est moche... mais ça vole : Le Loire 30 — avionslegendaires.net
 
What was the engineering rationale for mounting the engines way up there?
 
What was the engineering rationale for mounting the engines way up there?
Greg, only a guess on my part, but as the plane was originally designed to meet a specification for a night reconnaissance plane, I would think they were mounted high to not restrict the observers view? Here is a drawing of the original design. Also with 3 engines it would eithet have to have a nose mounted engine, of the center engine would have to be elevated, so you may as well mount them all up there?
1788808788998.png
 
Group of six P2Y-l flying boats 1934 the net
Group of six P2Y-l flying boats 1934 the net.png
 
What was the engineering rationale for mounting the engines way up there?

I do not know but is was the in thing for a time. The Dornier flying boats I can understand as putting the props out of reach of any water spray but several other non water aircraft also had that arrangement.
 
I do not know but is was the in thing for a time. The Dornier flying boats I can understand as putting the props out of reach of any water spray but several other non water aircraft also had that arrangement.
As long as engines position is concerned, this one is my favorite (the handsome Farman F4X / F120 Jabiru, first french monoplane airliner).

1788904166100.png
 
Last edited:
The Great Lakes XSG-1 was an experimental aircraft the net
The Great Lakes XSG-1 was an experimental aircraft the net.png
 
To my eyes it looks like it ground looped at low speed with the engine not running, you can see were the landing gear dug into the soft ground. So I think it was a gear down emergency landing attempted that ended up with sheered gear after the ground loop.

But that is just a guess on my part.
as good a guess as any. I have seen that look IRL.
 
Live long and prosper.
Due to his wounds I am not sure he could make the Vulcan Salute.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back